Running an in dash EQ?

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
I have an old Pioneer EQ. I mean, like 15 yrs old or so. I seem to remember it being very nice at fine tuning certain songs. With my current "poor mans setup" which is simply two 6x9's, two tweeters, and two 6.5's being fed from an RF 4 channel amp (200 watts) I got to wondering if an EQ would be worth putting back in my system.

Just curious how many people actually run separate EQ's? I know alot of head units have them built in.

My head unit is an Alpine 7984. Would buying a new EQ be a worthwhile component?

I wouldn't bother.
Do you mean in general or just because of my system?

I have been using an eq for the longest and it will do nothing but help your system.
Thanks for the input. I take it you run the EQS750? I couldn't find it by searching online. Would you recommend it or something else?

I wouldn't live without my clarion eq. Much more quicker than hu eq function. + its a line driver + quick control over the substage (if there's not remote gain)

I wouldn't live without my clarion eq. Much more quicker than hu eq function. + its a line driver + quick control over the substage (if there's not remote gain)
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Thanks for the info but I don't know what " its a line driver" means. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

And, since I am not running subs do you think I could benefit from it?

Also, are you running the same one cleansoundz runs?

A line driver increases the voltage of the preamp outputs to the amplifier. So from 2 volts for most HU's to anywhere from 5 to 8, depending on the line driver

And EQ's are great. I just wish I could afford a nice one

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Thanks for the info but I don't know what " its a line driver" means. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
line drivers just raise your pre out voltage...

Thanks for the Line Driver info.

My Alpine looks like it has 4V Preout. SO, if I were to get an EQ I would just make sure it was at least 4V?

What are some decent ones? I would need a 1/2 Din size to fit where I need it.

I'm not against EQs, but they're a tool - not something to be added "just because". If you're going to add an external EQ, you might as well get a decent Audiocontrol unit that probably won't fit in a 1/2-DIN space.

Otherwise, I'd upgrade to a head unit that has better processing built in if you're just looking for some level of tone control. Alpines from a few years ago have a 5-band PEQ that'd work.

I've always been a big fan of EQ's too. Home and car audio. Those little extra frequency tweaks make all the difference in the world with some music.

My soon to be coming setup will include an underdash Kicker KQ9 9 band EQ/etc.

They are either under dash or din mount (same width as a CD deck).

They have other models, even one that is just for low to mid bass (KQ5?). Check them out and check out Audio Controls.

Stay away from integrated amp/EQ's, but I'm sure you knew that.

Go for it!

Doug

i put an older alpine indash eq in and it was like night and day difference. if you have the unit already then hell yeah put it in and see how it sounds, probably really nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.