SD-3 10 or E10 for this application?

Participant count
  • Participant list

AudiOn19s

Really wanting to try out a Sundown sub. SD-3 10 and E10 are the only options that will fit in my box.

Box:

1.0 cf PORTED pre-fabbed downfiring box under the seat of my GMC truck

tuned to 39 hz

Mounting depth of 6.25" cutout for magnet at this depth is just under 7"

I'm searching for better low end performance / output over the JL 10w0 I have in there now.

SD-3 - 10:

- I know it will fit

- designed for sealed only worries me about performance in ported box

E10:

It'll fit but it'll be tight.

Is 3/4" behind the sub for the vent going to be an issue?

I have about 1 1/4" of cleance from the mounting surface to the floor, will this sub hit the floor?

Input appreciated. I've always been a ported box guy, it's the sound the my ear likes.

What's the possible drawbacks to putting an SD-3 in a ported enclosure?

Thanks

We have had customers run the SD-3 ported ; in that small of a box it will likely work well. Just keep in mind they do have a hard mechanical limit @ 2" p-p stroke.

Really wanting to try out a Sundown sub. SD-3 10 and E10 are the only options that will fit in my box.
Box:

1.0 cf PORTED pre-fabbed downfiring box under the seat of my GMC truck

tuned to 39 hz

Mounting depth of 6.25" cutout for magnet at this depth is just under 7"

I'm searching for better low end performance / output over the JL 10w0 I have in there now.

SD-3 - 10:

- I know it will fit

- designed for sealed only worries me about performance in ported box

E10:

It'll fit but it'll be tight.

Is 3/4" behind the sub for the vent going to be an issue?

I have about 1 1/4" of cleance from the mounting surface to the floor, will this sub hit the floor?

Input appreciated. I've always been a ported box guy, it's the sound the my ear likes.

What's the possible drawbacks to putting an SD-3 in a ported enclosure?

Thanks
Your biggest drawback will be that prefab box... The subs will sound way better in a custom box... What year and cab is your gmc... I fabricated a 2" seat lift for my 04 ext gmc and it allows for ALOT more space and larger ports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine is an 07-13 crew cab. The box is actually for the previous generation truck like your 04 but it fits and it's slightly bigger than most pre-fabbed for my body style.

I 100% realize the box is a limiting factor, but retaining rear seat functionality for adults is also a concern, as is use of the cargo space under the passenger side rear when i'm towing a trailer and need inside storage. Hoping to work with what I've got and make an improvement. I'm not a huge audiophile, I don't need TONS of bass, the combo I have in there now is really very close to what I'm after I just need a touch more low end and I'll be happy.

Going to either of these subs also allows me to go away from the 4ohm sub I have now and extract more power output from the amplifier which can be 1 ohm stable. The box will still choke it I'm sure but hopefully it's that little extra I've been looking for.

If not, then maybe I re-prioritize, raise the seats and build a custom box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AudiOn19s

AudiOn19s
Columbus oh
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
AudiOn19s