Sealed or ported?

samuelostrom

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 400WRMS 12 inch sub. Right now it's in a pretty small ported enclosure. I was about to build my own bigger ported enclosure but learned that if I'm a beginner, I shouldn't do that because you have to know what you're doing otherwise you can mess it up. Someone recommended just building a sealed enclosure that is as big as the recommendations for the sub. I like loud bass so does a sealed enclosure make it alot quieter?

Also is 400WRMS enough for a sealed enclosure? I was thinking of making the volume like 70L / 2,5 cubic feet.

Last edited:
I like loud bass so does a sealed enclosure make it alot quieter?
It does take more power to get it as loud as a ported box at any given volume, but sealed does sound great.
Also is 400WRMS enough for a sealed enclosure? I was thinking of making the volume like 70L / 2,5 cubic feet.
If the sub is a lower power sub, say 750 watts RMS and lower, it will sound good. I currently have 2 12s of ~750w RMS each in a sealed enclosure. Each is in 1.25 cu.ft. with 600w RMS going into each one and they pound hard. They are not high quality subs so I set the low pass frequency as high as the amp has, that way they blend better with the front stage.
Following recommended box volume is very important for good sound. Too big or too small of a box will kill your bass.

Last edited:
Plug the port on your current box. That will give you a good idea of what the sub sounds like sealed. Put a towel into a trash bag or plastic shopping bag and shove it into the port kinda tight. What sub is this?

Last edited:
Plug the port on your current box. That will give you a good idea of what the sub sounds like sealed. Put a towel into a trash bag or plastic shopping bag and shove it into the port kinda tight. What sub is this?
It's called MDS DS300RS. Got it at a second hand place. I can find very little info about it on the web.

Attachments

• 158785.jpg
    158785.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 16
It's called MDS DS300RS. Got it at a second hand place. I can find very little info about it on the web.
This should get you started. https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=158785#statistics
This is general instructions on how to build a ported box. He is designing his box for SPL. You can design your box on to what ever you desire.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...