Seeking advice on audio issues with Sony 12” Subs.

Participant count
  • Participant list

burdinec

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone,

I've been enjoying the performance of my two Sony 12” subs for a significant period. However, recently, during a music session with a friend, the volume was pushed to its limits, resulting in a loud buzz followed by silence. Upon restarting the car, one of the tweeters appeared to have malfunctioned, causing significant distortion. I replaced it with a generic tweeter from Amazon, resolving the distortion issue.

Nevertheless, since the incident, I've noticed a decline in overall sound quality. There are instances where the volume seems lower than expected, while at other times, it appears excessively loud. Additionally, the bass from the subs intermittently fluctuates. The most concerning aspect is that attempting to increase the volume beyond 18/30 on the head unit triggers erratic behavior from the subs, causing them to ramp up in volume uncontrollably, making the sound distorted sound like they are on the verge of bowing themselves up. This happens regardless of the bass knob's position.

I'm seeking advice on troubleshooting steps to address these issues. Tomorrow, I plan to inspect the coils and ensure the subs are not damaged. However, beyond that, I lack expertise in identifying potential causes.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Are your tweeters amplified or powered by the radio or maybe factory amp?

I'd check your wiring for sure, make sure 12v power and ground are both connected properly, and fuses, to be safe.

Then, if you have a DMM, I'd look at your RCA voltages and compare them to what the HU is supposed to put out, and see if you're getting max voltage on sub RCA's before you're even close to max radio volume.

Do you have some random gain button or eq you accidentally activated? Something like a loudness setting that got unknowingly turned on?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...