Setting gains with multiple devices

Participant count
  • Participant list
The Re-Q's gain dial (for sub) has 0 to 2.5V, while the specs say sub has an output of 8V max. It looks like 2.5V max is for full-range output. So assuming the markings are wrong, both my re-q and crossover output a max of 8V, so both go at approx 10:30 for 2.5V. Where should my amp gain set in this case, do I set this gain by sound? I think I am going to use a multimeter to set my amp gain. 600w x 1 @ 2ohms. So 600x2 = 1200, sqrt of 1200 is 34.64. Play 60hz test tone and adjust gain until meter reads 34.64.

re-Q Specifications

Gain dial has 0.0-2.5

In spec sheet:

Output Channels: Left, Right, Sub

Output Type: Unbalanced RCA

Max Output Voltage: 2.5V RMS Full Range, 8V RMS Sub

Crossover Sound Storm SX310

http://images.soundstormlab.com/manuals/SX310_EN_UM.PDF

Output voltage: 8Vmax

You can do that, but it is my understanding that the output voltage changes depending on the volume and on the frequency. Even if you set it at "right" with a 60Hz tone, it will change when another frequency is played. That's why gains aren't marked so precisely, as long as it's in the right neighborhood, you should be fine.

With my amp gain set based on multi-meter and crossover\re-q gains at 10:30 it is way underpowered. Is there a way to set voltage outputs (on the rca jacks) using a multimeter?

Yeah, that was part of my deciding factor, with the other part being a space saver in my trunk. The current amp\crossover\loc rack was taking up a decent amount of real-estate in my trunk.

The amp I bought will sit vertically between the sub box and the trunk side wall, which is useless area to me anyway. My box will only fit so far to the side because of the height clearance which leaves a gap, and this is where the amp will go. It also has a bit more power so for the price I figured I can't go wrong.

I'm going to run this @ 1 ohm for 900 watts RMS.

Soundstream DTR1.900D 900W RMS Class D Mono Block D-Tower Power Amplifier at Onlinecarstereo.com

Why hasn't anyone mentioned just getting the right tools? Get yourself an SMD DD-1. This is the proper tool to set your gains using a consumer grade device (you could use an o-scope, too, but who has one of those?). You can set your gains from the headunit on down to each device.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.