Setting Strapped Amps?????

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Im going to be getting a pair of amps and strapping them. Im going to set the amps with a DMM and im confused on how i would set them. Im going to be strapping them to 1ohm(.5ohm each amp) for comps.

Before i would just use a online gain setting calc but now i cant find one that works. But anyway how would i calculate the what to set the amps to if im strapping amps?

Thanks in advance,

Im going to be getting a pair of amps and strapping them. Im going to set the amps with a DMM and im confused on how i would set them. Im going to be strapping them to 1ohm(.5ohm each amp) for comps.
Before i would just use a online gain setting calc but now i cant find one that works. But anyway how would i calculate the what to set the amps to if im strapping amps?

Thanks in advance,
not sure if this is what ur asking but u only set the master amp thle slave amp settings do nothing when in slave mode...the two amps act as one so just set it like you would a single amp

not sure if this is what ur asking but u only set the master amp thle slave amp settings do nothing when in slave mode...the two amps act as one so just set it like you would a single amp
ok so what your saying is with a dmm i try to find the dmm voltage for the total watts rms for the both.

For example, the 2 amps are 500 rms @ 1ohm... so the formula would be SQRT(1000*1)=31.62v

they should able to handle it. im going to choose amps that can be ran .5ohm daily..
talking about the sharks by chance? i hear those are just fine at .5 ohms strapped in any case you still only would use the master amp to set the gains even with a DMM im pretty sure. It at that point reads and acts as one amp..

talking about the sharks by chance? i hear those are just fine at .5 ohms strapped in any case you still only would use the master amp to set the gains even with a DMM im pretty sure. It at that point reads and acts as one amp..
so my question is do i find the DMM voltage of the 2 amps combine power and set the master amp gain to that voltage?

so my question is do i find the DMM voltage of the 2 amps combine power and set the master amp gain to that voltage?
i could be wrong ill admit but im pretty certain you would basically ignore anything and everything to do with the slave amp...like i said im not possitive im basing this primarily off the AP3000 which is two ap1500s strapped just inside one casing. (if you get what i mean)

i have only ever used amps strapped once before besides owning a couple AP3000s and that was when i played with my ap1500s strapped. However i only did it by ear so that wont help lol

i could be wrong ill admit but im pretty certain you would basically ignore anything and everything to do with the slave amp...like i said im not possitive im basing this primarily off the AP3000 which is two ap1500s strapped just inside one casing. (if you get what i mean)
i have only ever used amps strapped once before besides owning a couple AP3000s and that was when i played with my ap1500s strapped. However i only did it by ear so that wont help lol
yea, im trying the dmm lol.... i know how to hook it to strapped amps, but not how to calc the voltage

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.