Sick Of Wasting Subs

IowaBoomer
10+ year member

Aight, now I am pissed. I got that Vega I told you all about, and it was ****ed from the start. No biggie...an amatuer had it, and he ****ed it up. Howeverm I just blew (Completely melted the **** coil...the spider and cone are detached) an IDQ 12'' DVC that i got with a black fiberglass box for $100. I only have a PUNCH 250 watt amp..Ihad the gain up, but I would think an IDQ could handle 300 rms...well, I am wrong. I pulled the sub out a few days before i blew it, and I think one of the VC was already blown when i got it, and stupid bass hungry me couldn't turn it off or even down, so I think thats why I blew the other VC. (It was bridged to the amp).

So the ? I present to you all is what is a **** strong 12'' (since I have a **** good box) that I could get for around $100. I am so sick of blowing subs, I could scream. I want it to be able to handle a **** ton of watts.

Oh, btw, my headlights dimmed hard when my sub hit...is this amp really that strong?

oh and a Cap will make the lights dimming alittle better, a 1 farad will help the amp. laterz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Sorry man, but that is a little too much for my blood. Are the Compitition no name subs on ebay worth a crap? Ones such as Royal Red handle 600RMS and 1200 Peak, and I can get a pair for as little as $60. Are any of these big boys worth a crap, or would I be better off investing in something like another Vega, JL, Kicker, etc?

Small amps blow big subs. I am only going to assume that your problem will fit into this catagory. When a person has a smaller amp hooked up to a larger sub, often the distortion can't be heard, but it's there. This happens when the gains are up all the way or close to all the way. I too learned this the hard way...many blown subs.

You hit the nail right on the head. I am using a Punch 250 watt amp and i have blown a Vega Series 12'' SVC and an IDQ 12'' DVC...I don't get it.

EDIT: Cant have spaces, so they are ;;;;;;;

Heres how i had the IDQ wired...

.....................------------------------

.....................\'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''/

VC > > //==ll \''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''/ . ll

.............ll .. ll \ ......cone..... / .. ll

.............ll .. ll \ _______ / ..... ll

.............ll .....\\=============//

.............ll.............^ bridge wire to other VC

.............ll

.............ll

.............\\

..............\\

...............l ---------------- l

...............l```````````````````l

..........----+------------------+-------

.........l Left + Right + l

.........l;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;l

.........l Punch 250 Amp l

.........l;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;l

.........-------------------------------

Is this wrong?

stick w/ the quality subs. not just built better, sound better, but a better warranty! not a whole lot out there for $100, but shop around! you'll be glad you did.

try a audiobahn alumx(i think), they are fairly cheap and from what i could gather here the hit pretty good!

one of the best things you can do is find someone with an oscilloscope (basically a voltmeter that plots volts vs time and shows you sound waves and stuff) and hook it across the output of your amp when its connected to the subs and pumping. What you want to look for is the highest points of the sound when the bass thumps, they should be round and look like the sine waves you would have done in school. if the tops look a little flat then the amps distorting and you need to wind back the gain.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.