Sine-wave power?

A sine wave is just a tone. Like, a steady "HMMMMMMMMMM."

Sub amps usually 50hz and highs amps at (I think) 1khz.

You can't really clamp or test amps on music because it's all over the place.

Go to YouTube and search for amp clamp tests and you'll see what I mean. I have a few on my channel.

Alright thanks it makes since now I think lol. So RMS would be it musical power and its sine wave power would be like the power it puts out on a test tone burp right?

"RMS" stands for root mean squared and I honestly have no idea what it means other than it's supposed to be the contant output and not "peak" power. I supose that it could mean the average of several tones? I dunno.

Suffice it to say that RMS is closer to what you'll actually get on a daily basis if the amp manufacturer is legit.

"Musical" power is almost impossible to define because every note in the bandwidth will change your impedance rise. You could have as little as 1ohm rise at or near tuning and get 2,000w and have as much as 8ohms rise one octave higher and get 500w.

Most amps I run across are rated at CEA2006 standard of 14.4 volts. Personally, I like to see ratings in the 12.5 - 13.8 range. It is more of a real world output rating. What company are you looking at?
Mmats only one I have saw to list sine wave power

Mmats makes good equipment. Mmats, Soundstream, Orion, Precision Power, RF, MTX., Lanzar..These guys still make some awesome power maps..but they are all very expensive for that 1500 watts you want. Truthfully, money as no object, my first recommendation would be a Orion HCCA 2500.1D, and second, the Lanzar 3000 w Optidrive .5 ohm competition amp..They can be found new for $500 in a couple of places, but the retailers are questionable. These amps are underrated by a good bit due to the headroom available. The Orion, Mmats , Soundstream, etc. offer amps with good headroom and very good Dampening factors (cone control)

I recommended the AQ 2200D because I have ran one for several yrs without an issue. It does more than rated, but is real handy in situations where 1300-1700 is wanted and the rest is just available headroom...it is not the cleanest or the best 2200 watt available, but for $430.00, it works real good compared to a $1200.00 Orion HCCA

Good luck in your search.

MMATS makes fantastic gear. No worries about their claims or ratings.

Quack is a bit of an old schooler, methinks. Those amps he listed are nice, but there are newer school amps that are just as good or better for less depending on your budget. But if you're looking at MMATS, you probably have a pretty healthy budget.

He's right about the AQ2200 though. Great amp.

MMATS makes fantastic gear. No worries about their claims or ratings.
Quack is a bit of an old schooler, methinks. Those amps he listed are nice, but there are newer school amps that are just as good or better for less depending on your budget. But if you're looking at MMATS, you probably have a pretty healthy budget.

He's right about the AQ2200 though. Great amp.
just a bit..lol..I was trying to shift focus from rms to Headroom.. clean powa!

Alright thanks it makes since now I think lol. So RMS would be it musical power and its sine wave power would be like the power it puts out on a test tone burp right?
No. Normal "music" would likely average 10-20% of full potential.

"RMS" stands for root mean squared and I honestly have no idea what it means other than it's supposed to be the contant output and not "peak" power. I supose that it could mean the average of several tones? I dunno.
Suffice it to say that RMS is closer to what you'll actually get on a daily basis if the amp manufacturer is legit.

"Musical" power is almost impossible to define because every note in the bandwidth will change your impedance rise. You could have as little as 1ohm rise at or near tuning and get 2,000w and have as much as 8ohms rise one octave higher and get 500w.
Root Mean Squared is a method by which you average a distance away from 0 counting + or - integers (or the area between the wavefrom and 0V). The function basically just turns the negative numbers positive then comes up with an average. For example your "115V" wall socket would show 160V peak if you put it on an o-scope.

For any discussion short of observing waveforms under a scope we deal with RMS power to discuss AC current, voltage, and power.

For a clean sine wave RMS is .707 X peak, this ratio changes for various shaped waveforms (hence why a clipped signal...approaching square wave creates more power ie. one of the reasons it blows up speakers faster)

Root Mean Squared is a method by which you average a distance away from 0 counting + or - integers (or the area between the wavefrom and 0V). The function basically just turns the negative numbers positive then comes up with an average. For example your "115V" wall socket would show 160V peak if you put it on an o-scope.

For any discussion short of observing waveforms under a scope we deal with RMS power to discuss AC current, voltage, and power.

For a clean sine wave RMS is .707 X peak, this ratio changes for various shaped waveforms (hence why a clipped signal...approaching square wave creates more power ie. one of the reasons it blows up speakers faster)
That made absolutely no sense.

7a957a871685.gif

Sine wave (peaks vs. rms). The point is that in any practical discussion of AC current, voltage, or power EVERYTHING is in RMS... it's how we make Ohm's law work with AC

7a957a871685.gif

Sine wave (peaks vs. rms). The point is that in any practical discussion of AC current, voltage, or power EVERYTHING is in RMS... it's how we make Ohm's law work with AC
I was kidding, bro. Lol. I caught it. I just wanted a visual aid //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'd like to see a video of 5k on that sa8
Can do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.