Slot ports and their locations

Participant count
  • Participant list

6 SPEED
10+ year member

SE Wi
I've got a question I've not yet found the answer to on here, though I am still looking. If this has been covered before, I do apologize.

I drive a 98 Ford Ranger single cab, and anyone that know's these little trucks knows these things have about as much room as a bodybag. I'm planning on running a single subwoofer, and so far with my old woofer (before I roasted it out of it's box) I found that the best sound was with the sub between the seats. Otherwise it sounded muffled, muddy. So with that in mind, the next box I build for the truck will have the sub placed between the seats. In the past I've always run sealed boxes, but I'm ready to try a ported setup.

This is the setup that will be in my Ranger

rangerbox2_zps2a80febf.png

With that setup, the sub is in the middle, the box is oriented to the drivers side, and it leaves a space on the passenger side to rack the amps, in this case I'm going to be using an Alpine MRP-M1000 (already have it) and an MRP-F300.

What I'm wondering is with a slot port, does the slot have to blow to a full open space? In the pic above, I marked 2 areas with red. The one on the left would blow out behind the amps, the one on the right would blow out towards the edge of the driver seat. Would it be muffled if it blew towards the seat?

Would I be better off with a round port in my case?

ive always heard port aimed at the drivers' side panel gives the best output. and you generally want at least a port width of clearance. i aim for about 1.5X port width of clearance(more if im talking home theater with tuning below 25hz)

Matt

Ok, a buddy of mine spent some time helping me learn Sketchup, so I was able to finish the model of the box.

Box is modeled with the Kicker CVR 12" I have now (which has similar ported box specs to the Sundown SA-12 that I want later), the Alpine MRP-M1000 I have, and the Alpine MRP-F300 I plan to buy to run the front stage.

finishedboxv2_zpsb011f142.png

With this setup, would I be better with a slot port out by the amps, or a round port through the top?

Why not run the port horizontallyand have it come below the amps. almost external port style or just have the amps the 1.5 inches or so up so it will be unblocked

Port at the bottom would run into the sub. Also trying not to move the amps upwards, because then they start to get visible through the back window. I guess I should mention that stealth is a little bit of a goal here. The sub will have a dark grill over it to minimize visibility from the front, and with the current design the box is pretty much invisible. I'm starting to think a round port might be my only options in this truck. If I only had an extended cab lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.