So, I found out why my music was cutting out (pic)

redcalimp5
10+ year member

Loud 'N Clear
So Cal
It appears, for whatever reason, my fuse blew and the Knukoncepts fuse block completely melted as a result.

MeltedFuze.jpg

Does anyone know why this would happen? And what's a better way to prevent this from happening once I replace this one?

It was originally zip-tied to the other wires coming out of the POS side of the battery terminal.

The fuse block has been secured to that position for a few months now, and I only noticed a problem with my music cutting out a few days ago.

Is this a result of too much current, or does my electrical system need an upgrade? Currently, I've got the stock Mazda alternator, an Optima Red Top, and that's it.....I haven't done the Big 3 yet.

Jesun!!!! It doesn't look that close to anything hot????
Yeah, it was suspended right between my battery and my fuse box, so there wasn't THAT much heat....or at least enough to melt it like that, in my opinion.

Too much current would simply have blown the fuse guys...

Loose connection, or arc'ing somehow. Somebody asked if it shorted out against the hood, that would make sense if it did it on the up-stream side of the fuse itself.

Too much current would simply have blown the fuse guys...
Loose connection, or arc'ing somehow. Somebody asked if it shorted out against the hood, that would make sense if it did it on the up-stream side of the fuse itself.
I'm not sure how it would've shorted out against the hood, because two small back zip-ties were securing it to the other power wires, in hopes that something just like that didn't happen.

I'm not sure about whether I've got an issue with too much current, tho....

I've got a 5 channel amp that puts out right around 750w RMS. The alternator is stock, and I've got an Optima Red Top. Would doing the Big 3 or at worst, adding a capacitor help to keep this from happening again?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.