SO much for the type r/TCAB hype. blew sub and components

i just want to say thanks to the beginner of this thread because its kids like you that make people hate our age group. I am 17 and i would never say something like that about such highly respected companies or people. TCAB will KILL you in any sub you want to use... alpine is better than any speaker you will make... you messed up move on and stop making young kids look like s*** heads. Thank you

alright, to clear some things up, i installed all of my equipment properly and was not maxing out my gains or my cd player. i have an alpine cd player that goes up to 35, i never turn it up past 24, that is where i set my gains at. the sub was overpowered, but my components were not. i am not saying tcab makes bad boxes, they are just a properly built ported enclosure that works well with the type r, but what i am saying is big deal, it is just a ported box, why does it cost so much? Now some info on my component set-up, i have my avionnixx 440.4 giving the components 80 rms or less. it is a underated amp, but i turned the gain up until i had audible distortion and then turned it back down 1/4 from that point to be safe. so i am no where near maxing out my gains and i would consider them properly set. my high pass is set quite high at around 125-140hz, b/c i found the type r's to bottom out easily. the treble on my hu is set to 0 and my bass is set to -1 on my hu also. on the alpine crossover the tweeter is set to 0 also. this was a very good sounding set-up until they blew. the right side tweeter has completly stopped working. i checked it by removing it and hooking it up directly to the amp, and it does nothing. There is no way they were installed wrong, i checked back over all the wiring and settings just to make sure, i also took my door panels off to check the wiring, everything was right. They were obviously installed correctly and was not user error. Have you ever thought that someone beside your self and under your age could install something correctly, or i guess nobody could do that huh?

i just want to say thanks to the beginner of this thread because its kids like you that make people hate our age group. I am 17 and i would never say something like that about such highly respected companies or people. TCAB will KILL you in any sub you want to use... alpine is better than any speaker you will make... you messed up move on and stop making young kids look like s*** heads. Thank you
i am 17 also, but i don't give car audio or our age group a bad name, its the wanna be that has 20 15's in a box chevy that rattles as loud as he can next to an old woman at a stop light. You don't know me or anything about car audio so STFU and mind your own business shi* head. Now go read about some more shi* that you can stick up for because everyone else is.

i can't prove to you I installed everything right, you believe what i say or don't. if anyone around wants to come check it out for yourself you are more than welcome

alright, to clear some things up, i installed all of my equipment properly and was not maxing out my gains or my cd player. i have an alpine cd player that goes up to 35, i never turn it up past 24, that is where i set my gains at. the sub was overpowered, but my components were not. i am not saying tcab makes bad boxes, they are just a properly built ported enclosure that works well with the type r, but what i am saying is big deal, it is just a ported box, why does it cost so much? Now some info on my component set-up, i have my avionnixx 440.4 giving the components 80 rms or less. it is a underated amp, but i turned the gain up until i had audible distortion and then turned it back down 1/4 from that point to be safe. so i am no where near maxing out my gains and i would consider them properly set. my high pass is set quite high at around 125-140hz, b/c i found the type r's to bottom out easily. the treble on my hu is set to 0 and my bass is set to -1 on my hu also. on the alpine crossover the tweeter is set to 0 also. this was a very good sounding set-up until they blew. the right side tweeter has completly stopped working. i checked it by removing it and hooking it up directly to the amp, and it does nothing. There is no way they were installed wrong, i checked back over all the wiring and settings just to make sure, i also took my door panels off to check the wiring, everything was right. They were obviously installed correctly and was not user error. Have you ever thought that someone beside your self and under your age could install something correctly, or i guess nobody could do that huh?
Though difficult to read, something like what you said here would have caused a much more civil and possibly informative thread where people could have explored WHY your components blew.

Instead, your initial post was negative, overly-aggressive and sounded like yet another "lolz type-R blowz lolzzzZzZ" thread that many young and/or inexperienced people bring forward. This grows tiresome.

As for your situation, it seems that setting your gains at volume 24 might have been your problem. You're supposed to set them at a volume higher than that.

At volume 24, a typical 4 volt pre-out (assuming you have a 4-volt) is probably putting it little more than 1-2 volts. If you set your gains here, you leave yourself entire too much headroom, and your amps are playing set to a higher gain than you should.

I have my 9807 gains set to volume 32. Never had any issues.

-cris

so u didnt even use a dmm to set your gains? just did it by ear? Your amazing man, you really are. You didnt properly set your gains on an amp that is sending over twice the power the sub should be receiving, and its alpines fault huh? this thread just doenst make any sense whatsoever. Try installing things right next time, i bet you will have better luck with your subs. As far as the components go, all we can assume is that they were installed in the same "correct" manner as the sub was. So who knows about them....

Are you sure that Avionixx wasn't outputing DC to your components? I believe that was a problem with some of their amps.

And, overpowering a speaker won't necessarily blow it...Hell, I have 80wrms on 25wrms speakers in my car, and they're showing no signs of letting go...

There is no way they were installed wrong, i checked back over all the wiring and settings just to make sure, i also took my door panels off to check the wiring, everything was right. They were obviously installed correctly and was not user error. Have you ever thought that someone beside your self and under your age could install something correctly, or i guess nobody could do that huh?
So what are you claiming? That Alpine has rated their type R components incorrectly? That sending them rated power with no clipping can blow them?

Speakers are very simple machines, their parts dont really wear out, by saying they ran fine for a long time, it means they obvioulsy werent defective. Then when they blow all of sudden, the only logical conclusion to come to is that something was different in regards to the operation of the speaker when it blew compared to the earlier operation when they worked fine. What blows a speaker? Well, basically, too much power, whether that power fry the coils or causes overexcursion. Point is, logically, you sent more power to the speaker than it can handle, since alpine can no doubt be trusted in their power ratings, you sent it power over that rating, probably clipped power at that. Its easy to say now that you installed everything correctly, gains etc..

Guess what, I have a 150x2 amp on speaker rated for 90RMS, Guess what, I also have not set my gains with anything other than my ears. And you know what, I've never blown a speaker... but if I did, I would not be arrogant enough to blame it on the speaker, and I certainly wouldnt come to a public forum and critisize the company...

so u didnt even use a dmm to set your gains? just did it by ear? Your amazing man, you really are. You didnt properly set your gains on an amp that is sending over twice the power the sub should be receiving, and its alpines fault huh? this thread just doenst make any sense whatsoever. Try installing things right next time, i bet you will have better luck with your subs. As far as the components go, all we can assume is that they were installed in the same "correct" manner as the sub was. So who knows about them....
Are you ****i** retarded? i am talking about the components getting 80 rms. the 12" type r is not mine and i did not install it. i have mentioned several times that the sub is not mine, it is alpine3612's, his sub just happened to go at teh same time as my components , the components were not overpowered at all.

Are you sure that Avionixx wasn't outputing DC to your components? I believe that was a problem with some of their amps.
And, overpowering a speaker won't necessarily blow it...Hell, I have 80wrms on 25wrms speakers in my car, and they're showing no signs of letting go...
Thats another good point, the amp could definitely have been defective aswell, unlikely, but thats something to think about before you go bashing equipment.

the amp is fine. it is a great amp and is not outputting dc

and i set my gaisn to 30-33 on my hu but regardless of the gain, the hu itself distorted past 30. i have the 9825. it sounds much better at 24

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.