So where do you guys really set your gains?

phatcat600
10+ year member

yeah my name is stupid
I set my gains using the tutorials and I set my CA600 to 24.5v with a 1000hz test tone (Which should be 150 watts which is correct for the amp)and my Sundown at 34.6v (that should be 1200 watts, the amp is rated for 1500)

It was set at 45 out of 62

I didnt even turn the gains on the CA600 up at all and even with my 2v preouts I was still getting the right voltage at 45.

Playing music its like my cheap ass CDT EF-61s arent even being pushed at 45...they dont seem to get loud even til 48.

The Mag is loud all the way through but it still doesnt seem like its nearly being pushed at 48.

How do you guys set your gains? I know you set it with a dmm with a test tone, but playing actual music it doesnt get anywhere near that power. How do you compensate for that?

I set my volume at 60/80. 5V preouts

My tru is set at 22v into 6ohms which is around 80watts. Set with 1000hz 0db tone

Then my Treo is set at 47v into 3 ohms which is about 735watts. set with 45hz 0db tone

Its plenty loud.

mines set a lil above a quarter and for my highs about half way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Yeah I set mine in my garage, but I think you know thats not what I mean

I guess thats what that -3db and -6db thing is for. What did you guys use?

It took alot of minor adjusting, but I can play my system at around 27-29/35 . 3/4 volume or a little better depending on the cd/radio with no worries. Trust me it is very loud and clear at this level. You have to take you time to do the little things to make your system sound good and prevent cliping at high levels. A good ear is really all you need.

I find a volume where my HU starts to sound nasty... generally I can tell this by minimizing the gain on my front stage amp and turning it up until it is distorted. I refer to that as "max volume" on the HU. At that point I will disconnect the front stage amp (just in case), hook the RCAs to the subwoofer amplifier with the subwoofer connected... turn the gain all the way down on the sub amp, and then work my way up to the "max volume" level. If the sub is still doing okay I will start increasing the gain until it sounds nasty, then back it off.

Sometimes it will require some more fine adjustment after this procedure, but it'll get you in the ballpark.

Not scientific... but it works quite well for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.