Sold Amp.....Refund?

Lowlacs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok so I sold an American Bass VFL110.1 in 100% full working order to a fellow on this site monday. Today he recieved the amp and said he disconnected his 400watt rockford and installed my ab on his L7 10. He then text and said something is wrong and that his rockford was hitting harder than my amp. Imediately I call him to see whats going on, during our convo he stated he had the rca wires plugged into the amps rca output jacks. So I breath a sigh of relief, I then asked him to hook them up correctly while I was on the phone. Its the same he says, I then ask for pics so that I could see whats goin on: View attachment 26542491View attachment 26542492 Now u guys see what I see. First off the power and ground wires look to be 10 or12ga and he has the remote wire jumped off the 12v hot. The power light is lit and its not in protect but I wonder if the power wires or if the rcas plugged into the amp output could have caused any damage?

I dont mind refunding this guys money at all if my amp is returned in the same condition as I sold and shipped it to him. He has totally admitted to being a rookie and thats fine, we all once were, but Id hate to get screwed here myself because of someone elses mistake. I have ran this amp for over a yr without fail or any issues and I also tested the amp in my truck the day before it shipped and All was well. Im at a loss here guys and have resorted to a valuim for now but PLEASe chime in here with ur opinions. Thanks for listening......

Total user error, imo thats on him for not hooking it up correctly and using the smallest cable possible. Also it looks like the LP filter is set to 35hz if that is the case of course its not going to hit lol.

IMO I would not refund.

i'd tell the guy how to run at a minimum, a quality 4 ga wire kit....Go over the install instructions and make him happy with the amp. It's a hell of an upgrade from what he was running and there is no reason to refund a 100% working item based off of inexperience....Teaching him will go alot farther than him getting a refund for your amp.

"Hi Wal-Mart....I would like to return this smashed *** banana because I don't know how to properly open and eat it. Thanks!"

At Walmart u will get a ******* employee who won't care and accept the smashed bananas though. Don't be walmart

At Walmart u will get a ******* employee who won't care and accept the smashed bananas though. Don't be walmart
I lol'd. Tell him to read a freaking tutorial, install some bigger wire and get back with you!

I lol'd. Tell him to read a freaking tutorial, install some bigger wire and get back with you!

I'd tell him to kick rocks. You have the LPF at 35 Hz subsonic at, it looks like 20 Hz, so you have a usable frequency range of 15 Hz (not counting the crossover slope) and the wire is garbage.

Connecting the RCAs to the output shouldn't hurt anything, but regardless.

He purchased a functioning amplifier, he didn't know what to do and how to hook it up (which is whatever), but YOU shouldn't and have no responsibility to bear HIS mistakes.

I say get him to sell it to me in non working condition! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Ok thanks to all you guys for taking the time to read and reply. After reading some of ur replies I decided to look back on our pms and txt messages. As with any online deal I like to keep well informed, just ask Winky or anyone else Ive dealt with. So here is a Pm I sent him yesterday morning after tracking the package. In this message I clearly laid out power recommendations and kindly offered him a volt meter for free just to show my gratitude and freindliness.

" Ur amp has left jacksonville fl this mornin and headed to u. Remember it makes 2k @1ohm and 1k @2ohm. If u decide on a one sub system u will want a dual2 ohm sub to get full power but if u decide on a 2 sub system u will want dual 4ohm subs. If ur not sure of all this please read up on parrallel wiring subwoofers. Also the American Bass VFL110 is a "monoblock" amp, although it has 2 sub hookups they are internally wired together. No need to bridge as it is already bridged internally.

Do u have a volt meter? I will send u one if u dont, its always a good idea to monitor what voltage ur amp is seeing and with these bigger amps they have to be fed well not to risk damage. U will need a quality 4ga wire to run this amp properly and I would also suggest either a QUALITY AGM batt under ur hood or an aux agm battery in the back close to the amp. Ofcourse this all depends on how u choose to run the amp, at 2ohms its not that big of a deal considering its only running at half power but if u decide to run full tilt (1ohm) u WILL need to supply it with plenty of power. U never wanna play an amp below 12volts. Some will take it but this causes excessive heat and also "clipping" and U dont wanna clip ur amp or subs to death. It very well can happen. This also corrilates to ur gain adjustment. I order my volt meters off ebay for real cheap, They are great insurance against my equip on low voltage. Well thats all I can think of for now."

I would not consider giving him a refund. Instead I'd try helping him out and set him in the right direction, there is no reason to shun him just because he is a noob to Car Audio. Set him straight with some good 4 gauge wires, maybe even new RCA's. Then send him to a guide on how install them or give a quick overview. After the wires are all run tell him what the filters do and that might be why it isn't hitting anything. Finally, the most important step, help him set the gain! All of that honestly takes 10 minutes or less so on the phone if you guide him through it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.