Soundqubed Q1-750 1% thd vs 5% thd

scottcrotch
10+ year member

Okay, so ive been searching for this but have come up with nothing or do not understand what or how it works, bassically i am want to purchase the Q1-750d amp, on the soundqubed website it says (Output Power 14.4V @ 1% THD) 300X1 @ 4 ohm,500X1 @ 2 ohm,750X1 @1 ohm

(Output Power 14.4V @ 5% THD) 1000X1 @ 1 ohm

so bassically am i getting 750watts or 1000 watts, i know thd has something to do with clipping and harmonics and yadiyada but ive read a few things but dont fully get it.

SQ products are underrated. So I sure you are getting more than 750rms watts, as for the THD...In my opinion, 1-3% isn't really audible. But the 5% is somewhat. It's just a distortion level, depending on your electrical I'm sure you can get closer to the 1000 rms watts out of it without 5% THD.

I had the AQ/SQ 1200.D and I was getting around 1400rms on 13.8volts

i was actually between the 1200d and the 750d, i just thought if i could get 1000 CLEAN watts out of the 750d @ the 1ohm and it was cheaper might as go for it, but i think i will just say **** it, put up the extra money and go with the 1200, thanks you guys, i really just wanted to understand what that thd was, but i kinda get it now

and plus if i get the 1200d i can wire it to 2ohms instead of the 1ohm and it should be easier on my electrical and still get more @ 2 ohms than the 1ohm on the 750

For subs under 10% thd is usually not noticeable. Thd and clipping are different. When. You look at clipping on a scope it is a flat spot on the wave peaks thd is wave deformation/unsmooth wave line. It would be easier to explain if I had some scope screen shots.

The best advice is to set your amp to produce power with out clipping, or at least a soft clip at most. You can pick up a real cheap o-scope like a pocket nano to ensure you have a good signal.

i know how to set the gains using a dmm, but how would i find out exactly how many watts the amp
A DMM does not allow you to determine if you are allowing the single to be clipped or not.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

how exactly would i test for the THD
Using an 0-scope.

A DMM does not allow you to determine if you are allowing the single to be clipped or not. 

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Using an 0-scope.
Where can i get or what brand is a cheap or should i say inexpensive O-Scope

Okay, so ive been searching for this but have come up with nothing or do not understand what or how it works, bassically i am want to purchase the Q1-750d amp, on the soundqubed website it says (Output Power 14.4V @ 1% THD) 300X1 @ 4 ohm,500X1 @ 2 ohm,750X1 @1 ohm(Output Power 14.4V @ 5% THD) 1000X1 @ 1 ohm

so bassically am i getting 750watts or 1000 watts, i know thd has something to do with clipping and harmonics and yadiyada but ive read a few things but dont fully get it.

PS: OK, I just read the original post more carefully and saw that power output at 1% THD is also given. Anyways. I personally would recommend to stick with the 1% THD figure. However, when you set gain use a -5dB test tone unless you play test tones on daily basis. Normal music hardly every reaches -5dB, and those are short lived peaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.