speaker size question

jre8806

Texas
I've been deciding which components seem to fit better. I got 07 mustang, and have thought about either a 5x7 component system or a 6.5" component seat. The question is:

Does a speaker with a larger area typically perform better or have different characteristics.

I've done some math and it seems the 6.5' compenents seem larger than the 5 x 7's in aspects of area. 6 x 8's are even larger but idk. I was wondering if there was a method to the madness.

I'm definitely an audio newbie but since it takes forever for people to help sometimes I'll give you some of the limited knowledge I have although take it with a grain of salt of course.

Bigger speakers tend to give better bass so the 6.5s and the 6x8s should give you better bass. However, if you're going to put subs in eventually I don't think it'll matter if you go with the smaller speakers as they'll be focusing on the midranges anyway. Also majority of component speakers are 2 way I think so I'd just go with whatever you're getting the better deal with between the 6.5s and the 5x7 and then put in a sub for the low end. I've also heard of posts of people putting those 6.5 inch subs in the rear deck so you could try to do that to get that lowend out too if you don't want a dedicated sub in your trunk.

Just my 2 cents though I probably know just as much about it as you do.

I'm definitely an audio newbie but since it takes forever for people to help sometimes I'll give you some of the limited knowledge I have although take it with a grain of salt of course.Bigger speakers tend to give better bass so the 6.5s and the 6x8s should give you better bass. However, if you're going to put subs in eventually I don't think it'll matter if you go with the smaller speakers as they'll be focusing on the midranges anyway. Also majority of component speakers are 2 way I think so I'd just go with whatever you're getting the better deal with between the 6.5s and the 5x7 and then put in a sub for the low end. I've also heard of posts of people putting those 6.5 inch subs in the rear deck so you could try to do that to get that lowend out too if you don't want a dedicated sub in your trunk.

Just my 2 cents though I probably know just as much about it as you do.

Wrong.

I think it's more bass or a lower range of bass. I definitely shouldn't have put better though. You're welcome to give him your expert opinion though as you probably know more about it than I do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.