Speaker suggestions for a 2010 Tundra?

tazerdlaze

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
Hello!

I used to be more into car audio in high school and haven't done anything for a while, but I would like to replace the stock speakers in my Tundra. I honestly don't want to do anything crazy and was just thinking about putting in a component set and sound treating the doors. Eventually I will probably put in an amp and rear speakers, but for now I just want something that sounds better than stock. I already have installed a Kenwood double din Head Unit.

My issue is that I'm extremely overwhelmed by all of the options out there and I have absolutely no idea what I should purchase. I am not interested in Focal, Hertz, or JL, but other than that I'm pretty open to anything. Kind of looking for a good bang for the buck set of components.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Just keep in mind your stock head unit may not have enough juice to drive the components. May want to get a high efficiency coax and when you’re ready for an amp move those back and then get the components.

Just keep in mind your stock head unit may not have enough juice to drive the components. May want to get a high efficiency coax and when you’re ready for an amp move those back and then get the components.
oh really? I figured I would just drive the components with the Head Unit until I get an amp. I understand it won't be ideal, but will it really be a problem?

Also what amp might you recommend for just a basic system? Just wanting to power component set and rear coax

Last edited:
Generally components need more juice. Heavier materials need more power to move but with proper power is where they excel. As far as amps there’s a ton depends on budget and expectations. First have to decide what you want and budget. Like I said if you’re not ready to jump in head first just get some high sensitivity coax for the front will probably outperform components with factory HU.

Generally components need more juice. Heavier materials need more power to move but with proper power is where they excel. As far as amps there’s a ton depends on budget and expectations. First have to decide what you want and budget. Like I said if you’re not ready to jump in head first just get some high sensitivity coax for the front will probably outperform components with factory HU.

I appreciate the help. What is a realistic budget for front components and amp? I am really just trying to get some bang for the buck speakers and amp.

Honestly your best bet is to go on Crutchfirld enter your vehicle info and start browsing. Budget depends on what you want. Nowadays there’s lots of budget friendly options. You could do some good damage with $6-700 and you could easily spend triple that just in speakers lol. I’m more of the buy once cry once mentality. CDT gets thrown around here a lot and they seem reasonably priced maybe someone else can chime in. I just got back in the game but it’s like riding a bike.

What Kendwood HU do you have? Model #. Are you going to be putting a sub in at a later time?
If im pulling Door panels to swapp speakers and do deadening.. Im going to run the wires and time to put them on an amp to serve any justice at all.

Hello!

I used to be more into car audio in high school and haven't done anything for a while, but I would like to replace the stock speakers in my Tundra. I honestly don't want to do anything crazy and was just thinking about putting in a component set and sound treating the doors. Eventually I will probably put in an amp and rear speakers, but for now I just want something that sounds better than stock. I already have installed a Kenwood double din Head Unit.

My issue is that I'm extremely overwhelmed by all of the options out there and I have absolutely no idea what I should purchase. I am not interested in Focal, Hertz, or JL, but other than that I'm pretty open to anything. Kind of looking for a good bang for the buck set of components.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
That Kenwood unit will drive a pair of efficient components no problem and sound way better than factory doing it. Will they be louder with a separate amp? Yes but it will still be louder and sound better than stock. I would go with a Polk Db or Infiniti Reference 6.5 Comp set, they will work off of HU power and later on you can throw some watts at them.

Polk Audio MM 6502 series (35 HZ on up 40,000 @93Db) are my go to speakers if I am not getting something from CDT Audio on the monthly sales. Worth the $ on 100 rms per side. Avatar makes a decent budget amp Ive put in quite a bit. I would put rears on the HU power with an Inline bass cap( generally $10 bucks on up) Recommend Polk Audio DB Coax. for the rears. Id put some good /decent speakers up front on amplifier. Rears i wouldnt spend a whole lot on. Usually in a truck like an Xcab on even some double cabs, 40 rms for the rears are plenty to not be overbearing for the front stage. Fronts, I like a min. of 90-100 rms on each side.

Perfect for the rears

fronts

What Kendwood HU do you have? Model #. Are you going to be putting a sub in at a later time?
If im pulling Door panels to swapp speakers and do deadening.. Im going to run the wires and time to put them on an amp to serve any justice at all.
I have a Kenwood dmx706s. I would really like to put in a sub in the future as well as a 4 channel amp for the speakers, but I just don't want to spend money on a full system at this time. Maybe If I went with something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YVMJFB9/?tag=caraudiocom-20 Taramps TS400X4, I would install an amp. My plan was to run speedwire from the amp to the back of the HU instead of running individual wiring to everything.

Last edited:
That Kenwood unit will drive a pair of efficient components no problem and sound way better than factory doing it. Will they be louder with a separate amp? Yes but it will still be louder and sound better than stock. I would go with a Polk Db or Infiniti Reference 6.5 Comp set, they will work off of HU power and later on you can throw some watts at them.

That's kind of what I was hoping to achieve. Just get a better sound in the truck overall for not too much money and then when I'm ready later down the road I can run wire and install a couple amps and a sub.

Polk Audio MM 6502 series (35 HZ on up 40,000 @93Db) are my go to speakers if I am not getting something from CDT Audio on the monthly sales. Worth the $ on 100 rms per side. Avatar makes a decent budget amp Ive put in quite a bit. I would put rears on the HU power with an Inline bass cap( generally $10 bucks on up) Recommend Polk Audio DB Coax. for the rears. Id put some good /decent speakers up front on amplifier. Rears i wouldnt spend a whole lot on. Usually in a truck like an Xcab on even some double cabs, 40 rms for the rears are plenty to not be overbearing for the front stage. Fronts, I like a min. of 90-100 rms on each side.

Perfect for the rears

fronts

Ignore my first response, since I was just responding in order of replies and didn't see this one.

For that price I wouldn't mind installing an amp to power the speakers as well. I was planning on running speedwire from the amp to the back of the HU to tie into the existing wiring. I am not at all interested in running new wire. Is that reasonable to do?

Is there a reason you wouldn't power front and rear with the 4 channel amp? Also Can you explain what an inline bass cap is and why I would install one?

The Polk component set looks nice, I'm curious how does it compare to something like these kicker's? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSS67/Kicker-47KSS6704.html (this is what I was originally eyeing) and I'm honestly just asking out of curiosity because I'm trying to understand what makes one set of speakers better than another.

Thank you for your suggestions I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...