Speaker upgrade advice needed Silverado

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dieselfan1

CarAudio.com Newbie
New guy here.
2023 High Country. Bose.
I want to replace the stock speakers then eventually adding the GM Kicker subwoofer that goes under the back seat.
I've heard the stock speakers have different ohms.
Probably buying everything at Crutchfield.
Looking for some advice what to buy. Front and rear doors and dash speakers. Budget is around $800.
Thanks

Need more info. Are you wanting to use the BOSE amp and just upgrade the speakers? Bose generally speaking Bose uses 2 ohm speakers. If you want to upgrade the amp and speakers, are you keeping the head unit? If you are just upgrading speakers, NVX has some nice 2ohm components in 6x9" and 6.5" w/1" silk-dome tweeters for around $130 a set.

I'm keeping the stock subwoofer.
I want to replace the 4 door speakers and the dash speakers.
Then I want to add the GM Kicker powered subwoofer that sits under the back seat

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004_082339_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_082339_Chrome.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 16
Great. I would make sure of the fitment and Crutchfield.com is a great place to start. Input your vehicle type, determine what you need to replace the existing speakers (always use the new crossovers provided on any of them), and then shop around.

The dash stuff is tricky in that the size/fit ohm rating can be problematic when trying to find those and other 2ohm drivers that are from the same manufacturer. Crutchfield can help you there too.. You may have to start with the dash drivers to point you in the right direction. In some of these situations, the dash speakers have a dual function as they may be designated for your communication devices too. Not using them means you may lose intercom or phone interaction. Some opt for using them with upgrades but I'm personally not a fan of using the stock dash speakers with upgraded speakers everywhere else but I'm also not a fan of the Bose systems in "most" vehicles. If you had to use the dash speakers with upgrades, a compromise for sure but probably still better than not upgrading at all. I assume that the Kicker sub will replace the stock sub, probably a decent option.

Last edited:
The GM Kicker sub doesn't replace the existing sub under the center console. It's powered by its own 200 w amp. So in theory there will be two subs.
The ohms of existing speakers I think are 2 ohm dash and 4 ohm door speakers but I can't confirm.
How important is it to replace speakers of the same ohm?

Nice, well, can't say that either would be "too" much bass! As for the impedance ratings, I would wager that all the speakers are 2 ohms. Moving to 4-ohm speakers would effectively reduce the power to the speakers by as much as 50%, not usually anywhere near acceptable in an OEM setup. I run my 3000-watt@1ohm stable sub amp at 4 ohms but it puts out over 1000 watts at 4 ohms, you don't have that luxury, so to speak. Unless you upgrade the amplifier(s) to something more substantial, you will need to find 2-ohm speakers to replace the ones you have. The Bose amp is designed to put out rated power at that 2ohm resistance rating. If push came to shove, using 4ohm drivers in the dash would be the preference over the other way around, still not desirable if you can avoid it. If I recall, Kicker and several other companies make 2 ohm 2-4" drivers that will fit in the dash locations, just have to check it out.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004_114955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_114955_Chrome.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20231004_115010_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_115010_Chrome.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20231004_115026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_115026_Chrome.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231004_115051_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_115051_Chrome.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 18
    162.9 KB · Views: 14
    162.9 KB · Views: 17
Every Bose System Ive had the experienced was a real PITA along with the Stock HU trying to Add amps and speakers to accommodate the want. I was always happy to rip that Chit out and go aftermarket. Just seems like a waste of time and money not to and patience and frustration. There are always limitations with the Bose system and the like

Last edited:
You are not necessarily stuck. I assume it has BT phone connectivity too. I personally don't talk on the phone when driving, for any reason so I didn't care when I disabled this feature and upgraded from the in-famous (no highs no lows it must be Bose) setup. that said, you could get a nice 6-channel amp with built-in dsp like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3051014765...d=link&campid=5335951755&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

$329.00

NVX comps for the front and rear with modified fit in the upper door or the factory location in the dash for the tweeters:

Amazon product ASIN B0B3F4F1FJ
$129.99 a pair, so $260.00

1696469724975.png

You would lose the center channel if that is applicable but that is not even a consideration as the resulting system won’t need it. This amp will (should) take the leads from the HU directly unless there is some funky setup from the HU to the amp. You’d have to try and find a harness if you can’t pull the wires from the existing setup.

That's $600 give a take a few, not bad at all, if you are up to it, there are options.

Last edited:
There are options for sure. Sit down and write down what you want out of the system(speakers in what locations, amp/amplifiers sub /no sub,and a budget. Add in ststallation if you dont want to do it yourself . Some audio shops will not put in anything you bring outside theyre establishment and will not warranty the install on those as well. I would have opt out on the Bose system myself if I bought new. but most people think its the greatest audio system they have ever heard to theyre ears and the like/Mach systems/JBl/Infinity ect. Ive had better listening experiences with earbuds on an old Ipod to be honest

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...