Speakers or Amp??

Participant count
  • Participant list

thuggish3000
10+ year member

Okay guys. So here is the deal, I have a piar of Phoenix Gold RSD 5 1/4inch Component Speakers, these speakers are excellent but I do notice that I am lacking the Midbass that these are supposed to have, I currently have them in custom kickpanels and running off a 4 channel Power Acoustik Gothic amp ( I know, Not very good) right now I do NOT have rear speakers and would love to get the midbass up front with these, So am I better off getting a new set of speakers or a powerful 2 channel amp?

Thank you

Sorry, I should have specified, I am giving them about 65watts each.. I can't bridge my amp because its mono if bridged no matter what I do and it also shows it in the manual, maybe thats a Power Acoustik thing or something..

Thank you for the responds..

They're in the kicks so deadening the doors isn't going to make that much of a difference. Two issues. One, the kick pods probably don't have enough air in them for the bottom end of the speakers' response to be at their best. Two, they're only 5.25" midranges. They simply don't have the cone area to do much in the midbass realm. For real midbass you should go with at least 6.5" and 8s would be better still.

If you like your current kickpanel install you could always install a dedicated set of 6.5" midbasses in the doors run off the other pair of channels on your 4 channel and cross them in the 250hz region on the top end. Would probably be the cheapest solution and one that's likely to yield very good results.

Cool, I will actually give that a try, I will put a pair of 6.5's in the doors and run them of that other channels of the amp.. That sounds like it will be very relistic. Any dedicated brands I should look at when shopping for midbass 6.5's?

Opps I also forgot to mention that the vehical is a 94 cavalier, they're are currently no speakers in the doors, it wasn't an option back then, but there does seem to be space right by where the motors are for the power windows and locks,, would that be an ideal place to put them if I fabricate rings?

for midbass I always liked CDTs 6.5s. The HD M6 and ES06 are great but expensive. THE M6+ and ES06+ even more so. I dont know what your budget is but for any of those you are looking at 200-400 for the pair depending on where you get them. you could also check out madisound and get some vifa speakers that perform well in that range. I will find a few on madisound and post up some links for you if I can.

I havent ever heard these speakers but have read very good things about them.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=1604

This one I have heard. If you are looking for some pure midbass domination i would go with this one.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=8234

If I understand correctly, from madisounds site you buy the speakers per speaker, not per pair, so you would need to get two of each.

the second speakers I listed there is teriffic. Deaden the **** out of your door and make a nice MDF baffle and it will sound teriffic. I would cross it right around 250-350. Mess around with it though and see where it sounds best.

As for install location in the door. I drive an 01 cavalier so im sure your doors are different than mine. if they are in any way similar though the location you said should be great.

Sweet deal,, thank you for the Links and suggestions it is very much appreciated.. Actually I do believe that the 01 door speakers are in the exact location of where I would be putting my speakers, so I will probably just make a wooden ring and if I have to make a baffle so be it..

this has a lot to do with the install and if your doors are deadened
x2

With only reading your first post, Sounds like your panels are not the ideal location for bass from your speakers. If you cant put em in the door, buy some beefy bass drivers and deaden your front doors and you should be aight. Amp them sufficently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.