Steering Wheel Control Problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

tommybrown
10+ year member

I have a 2009 camry and I recently had a new head unit installed. In order to keep the steering wheel controls, I had to purchase a new wiring kit. Once everything was installed, I noticed that a little sensor was installed near my ashtray and if anything blocks it (like my arm), the steering wheel controls won't work. I also noticed that if a beam of sunlight shines through my car and onto the headunit, the controls won't work then either. Anybody know anything about this?

If your steering wheel controls function solely on an IR (infrared, like a t.v. remote) connection, that's a problem you can't avoid. My head unit has a wired remote, so I don't have to worry about that issue. If your head unit supports it, I would hook up a wired remote. If you can't do that, I don't really have a solution for you... well... ok, now that I think about it, if you have money oozing out of your wallet, you could buy an infrared repeater and use that, but the cost is ridiculous for that type of functionality. If you have a technical mind, you could open up the transmitter in your steering wheel and beef it up, but that's tinkering above my level...

http://www.pac-audio.com/productSearch.aspx?Make=Toyota&MakeId=33&Model=Camry&ModelId=1280&Year=2009&YearId=30

Scroll Down. Wired SWC interfaces.

And as far as infrared repeaters being expensive...

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=213&CategoryID=34

$35 ain't bad. We use them for glove box mounted radio in older cars, and in some in-car video setups.

And you can't just beef up your steering wheel controls. They're negative triggers through a certain resistance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.