STILL F***ing up. Im literally going to light my sh** on fire!!!

I would say voltage drop is the reason. But you dont have a DMM so it is hard to troubleshoot really.
I would recommend you try to wire it up to 4 ohm load, only if your amp is 4 ohm stable, and see what happens.
What mono amp isnt 4 ohm stable ? what are you talking about ?

Although this might not be the culprit, you could try it out if you're having voltage issues. You said you didn't do the alternator to battery wire on the big 3. That's arguably the most important one - without it, the rest of the big 3 is pointless.

How much power are you running?

Go buy a Digital Multi Meter. You cannot troubleshoot without the proper tools.... Walmart has them for $10-$20 bucks. Its a wise investment trust me.

You can do 2 things right off the bat...

1. Check your battery voltage, secondary battery (if there is one), and amplifier voltage. Check the amp before it shuts off, and right during/after if possible. This can tell you if your voltage is dropping and your amp is shutting off because of it....

2. Test the Ohm of your subs. You do not have to pull the subs out of the box to do this initially. Take the speaker wire out of your amp, and hook it up to the Digital Multi Meter. Make sure you set the meter to Ohms... It will tell you as an example 1.0 , 2.0 , 4.0 or even something crazy like 1.33 or something like that. That will tell you that you are plugging that ohm load into your amp....make sure its not below your recommended ohm rating.

Those 2 things are crucial man....seriously. For $20 bucks to know that info is beyond worth it. If your lucky..maybe even Auto Zone would be nice enough to test your battery voltage.....if the guy is cool ask him to check your amp voltage, lol

As a side note...its not the best way, but it is better then by ear. The digital multi meter can help you set your gains on the amp also. Google how to do it. Basically you get a 0 dB test tone of whatever Hz you are looking for. Unplug your speakers, and turn up the volume on the HU to about 75-80%. Plug the DMM into the speaker terminals. Their are spreadsheets that tell you for this wattage, you adjust the gain to this....or that. Like I said..not always the best way, but another good thing a DMM can do in a pinch if you dont have a scope to check for clipping.

honestly i dont know the culprit but if i had to put a case of beer on it id say voltage drop or a problem w the subs vc. bottom line you need a dmm to get any more answers from anyone.

yea shows like a sub wiring problem, send me a pm i have all the tools i can help you out.
seriously help this guy out and teach him something lol

OP go get a d@mn DMM....not only for the problem at hand but it's a vital tool to have around. that way you can ohm your subs, check voltages etc. even tho you "think" you have your sub wired up correctly it's still good practice to ohm it out...and to check voltages at both batts.....how is your wiring to your back batt...do you have seperate runs of 1/0 (+ and -) from front batt to back batt? or is your back batt grounded to metal? also, i believe you stated you had your amp grounded to metal...try grounding your amp to the kinetik to see if it makes a difference as well and a - run from front batt to back batt if you haven't done so. i have my money on voltage issues due to wiring. and put a run from the alt + to front batt +.

also use the search button....search gain settings and h/u settings. wrong h/u settings can also promote "clipping" oh and turn your bass boost all the way down...it's no sony xplode //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I always setup my stuff by ear but I wouldn't suggest you do it that way....since you paid all that money for nice equipment go pay some more for someone to set it up right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Seeing how it worked properly when you got to school makes me think that's it's a voltage problem because the alt was charging the batt all the way to your school. I would suggest trying to put your batt or batts on a charger for a while and see what happens if you dont have one autozone will do it for free, and finishing the big 3 is very vital espessially the wire from the alt to the + battery post and also get a DMM it would really help

Does the amp get hot?

Does it always happen at around 35 ish volume?

Have you tried it at low volume with the "loud" setting on? Basically can you hear boom at low volumes....

Can you put your Sony's back in temporarily for testing?

What is your battery, 2nd battery, amp voltage on a multi meter?

What is your speaker box ohms on a multi meter?

Can you disconnect the sub amp and turn your radio past 35 with no issues?

Does your stereo have a "sub" output? If so, can you try the "rear" output instead for testing?

Can you try different RCA's?

Can you try another amp? Buy a cheapo at Walmart...test with it if you dont have any friends to help out.

Can you bypass the 2nd battery and run amp from main battery?

These are just some brainstorming questions.... Many of them you would want a meter for. I bought mine at Walmart for $20 about 2 weeks ago.

Personally I think its a voltage issue somewhere, or an ohm issue. If your amp is getting hot and/or its shutting off at higher volumes only...you could be over driving the amp with a low ohm rating. The amp would shut itself down to prevent damage to itself.

I do not think you have any wires crossed, but it doesnt ever hurt to make sure anyway.

Ohh...and write everything you do down somewhere. Everytime you troubleshoot write down what you did, so you know what you did and do not do it multiple times. Start with the easy stuff first. Get the meter, do your basic checks with it and write the numbers down. If they are good, then move on.

You have to remember that noone here knows your audio knowledge, so some (like myself) will start with the very basics and not ASSUME you did something. You wouldnt believe how many computers I have fixed because a customer plugged it into a surge protector....then plugged the surge protector into itself. They wondered why there was no power...... yes...... it happens more then you know...

ok OP you got 3 people from orlando in here get them to help you out... and for future purposes buy i dmm even if it is the crappy $20 meter mine was $200 and it has paid for itself quite a few times over it is prolly my most important tool i own

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.