Stinger Volt Meter question // Issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

30Hertz
10+ year member

Whats goin on people,

So heres the deal. I've had my Stinger Volt Meter installed for a while and never really noticed a problem albeit I didn't really compare the voltage at the battery, vs the voltage at the amplifier with a handheld DMM vs the Stinger Volt Meter.

However after I installed my Mechman 220 amp adjustable voltage alternator, I've been doing some testing while setting my voltage and have come across this issue.

I've got my Stinger Volt meter installed as follows:

The Volt meter remote is patched into my amplifier REMote wire. The positive and negative leads are placed into the Orion 2500d positive and negative terminals along with the wire from the battery ( I did this so I would see the voltage at the AMP to monitor the voltage drop.

Lately while I've been driving, Ive been noticed inconsistent fluctuations in the voltage. Sometimes, the voltage would ready as I had set it 14.4v and other times at a stop it would hover around 10.9 to 12.1.

I thought this was weird so I did a little investigating with my True RMS DMM.

• I started off at with the truck off, with the DMM the Battery read good at 13.1v. Inside the truck, the Stinger VM read at 12.1v

• Truck on, with the DMM the battery checked good at 14.8v. , Inside the truck, Stinger read at 13.1v

Ok, so I thought maybe..just maybe I was getting some voltage drop from the battery back to the amplifier.

• I checked with the truck on, used my DMM and checked the terminals on the amplifier and it checked good at 14.8v however inside the truck, the Stinger was still reading between 13.1v and 13.7v.

I figured this was rather weird and was wondering if anyone has had this issue before? The whole point of having my Stinger Volt Meter installed was to get an accurate reading as to what the actual voltage was at the amplifier. With my troubleshooting today, I'm not having any faith in the readings I'm getting inside the cab while driving.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading. I used the "Search" Function but didn't really find anything relevant.

EDIT::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Needed to match the **** meter to the DMM, durr, disregard this post unless its helpful to you

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.