Strange smell yesterday, no sub output today

Participant count
  • Participant list

addiicts

So my amp and subs are years old, I got them from my brother. I've had it in my car and working for ~2-3 years now. I have never had any problems, I know my brother stated sometimes the amp would shutoff when it is really hot outside.

I have an Audiobahn A8000T amp and 2 12" JL audio W3's (Yes, thats all I know about the subs lol, I apologize for not having more information on them.) They are in my trunk, the amp is mounted on the back of the sub box.

Yesterday I was driving home and all of a sudden smelled something very strange, I pulled over, popped the trunk and noticed something in the air (maybe a very light smoke?) and determined the smell was indeed coming from the trunk. So I decided to turned off the radio and drove home. Fast-forward to today, I took my phone and used it to look over the amp to see if I could notice anything different (Yes I had to do it this way, had surgery a little while ago on my shoulder and I didnt feel comfortable trying and nobody to assist me - a friend is coming by this weekend to assist me if I still need it.) I didn't see anything that stuck out to me, although I don't know much about this type of stuff but I looked for obvious burns/melts etc. I turned on my car and tried to play a song to see if they still worked - no output from the subs, looked at the amp and the protection light is on.

Thats where I'm at now, the strange smell/light smoke from my trunk yesterday and then today there is no output from the subs and the amp is in protection mode. Does anyone have any suggestions or guidance on what is wrong/what to check? Thanks in advance.

unless amp fried, sounds like u fried a coil or 2 on subs.. unhook 1 sub (if u can) see if other 1 plays if so u know it's the other sub..

Those amps are junk and not worth repairing. Count yourself lucky you got 3 years out of it and hope it didn't burn up your subs on the way out.
Yea that's what I've been told. Actually including the time my brother had with this amp and my time, its been like ~8+ years?

unless amp fried, sounds like u fried a coil or 2 on subs.. unhook 1 sub (if u can) see if other 1 plays if so u know it's the other sub..
I should be able to unhook to test and see if I can locate the issue. If unhooking doesn't get me anywhere, would you think the amp fried then?

Yea that's what I've been told. Actually including the time my brother had with this amp and my time, its been like ~8+ years?

I should be able to unhook to test and see if I can locate the issue. If unhooking doesn't get me anywhere, would you think the amp fried then?
it is very old., only easy option is test another sub on that amp or test another amp on the subs..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.