Subs kick in and out frequently

pkwon121

Ohio
So I got a set of used subs and amp from my coworker a couple months ago, they sound great!

But lately when the volume is too high, the sub kicks out and there is practically no bass. I have a 15 Kia Forte and my original head unit that uses a line in converter. I know it's a bad setup but I didn't want to get a new stereo.

So I was wondering if it's the amp that's going bad? It runs really hot but I know that's typical for amps. Maybe it's the power wire cause the guy who installed it used 8 gauge wire. I told him to use 4 but he insisted they wouldn't draw that much power for 4 gauge.

If anyone knows relatively what the issue is, that would be great. I'm assuming it's not the sub because they sound really good when they are on.

By the way, I know the equipment I'm running is really old stuff but I'm happy with how they sound.

80960de1bea89c94051d2ec3ea595a70.jpg

f229a0997a5037a36c5b8cb711e9dfe2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got a set of used subs and amp from my coworker a couple months ago, they sound great!But lately when the volume is too high, the sub kicks out and there is practically no bass. I have a 15 Kia Forte and my original head unit that uses a line in converter. I know it's a bad setup but I didn't want to get a new stereo.

So I was wondering if it's the amp that's going bad? It runs really hot but I know that's typical for amps. Maybe it's the power wire cause the guy who installed it used 8 gauge wire. I told him to use 4 but he insisted they wouldn't draw that much power for 4 gauge.

If anyone knows relatively what the issue is, that would be great. I'm assuming it's not the sub because they sound really good when they are on.

By the way, I know the equipment I'm running is really old stuff but I'm happy with how they sound.

80960de1bea89c94051d2ec3ea595a70.jpg

f229a0997a5037a36c5b8cb711e9dfe2.jpg

I'm having a similar issue with similar setup. The advice I have been getting is to check the ground wire

I'm having a similar issue with similar setup. The advice I have been getting is to check the ground wire
Sorry but my audio knowledge isn't the best, but the ground wire is bolted to an exposed piece of metal, right?

Ok so I just looked at my ground wire and it is touching a little bit of painted metal

f919a2ad09cfa651b01e9c13b15e616c.jpg

Should I move the ground then?

Yes. Should be a wife coming from the negative on the amp, the other end should be bolted to some exposed bare metal in the car

Try a voltmeter. Put it on ohms, connect one lead on the voltmeter to the negative at the amp and the other to the ground bolt. Make sure everything is off first

I don't have access to a volt meter, should I just move the ground and see if it cuts in next time I for a drive?

Im curious, what impedance the amp is seeing? Do you know what final load you have from those subs? I'm willing to bet it's too low and the amp is going into protection and cutting off, then wen it cools kicks back on. I'd check that first.

Im curious, what impedance the amp is seeing? Do you know what final load you have from those subs? I'm willing to bet it's too low and the amp is going into protection and cutting off, then wen it cools kicks back on. I'd check that first.
So are you saying that the amp is too weak? I'm sorry but I have no idea what final load means, but the explanation you give does make sense

Not necessarily, its about matching everything up. You need to do some research. Find out what ohms are, a load, 4 ohms, 2 ohms, etc.

Look at the subwoofers(take them out) and see if they are dual 4 ohm, or dual 2. Go to harbor freight and get a cheap multi meter and meter them. Find out if your amp is stable to 4 ohms or 2 when bridged. The Try a tool like wooferwiringwizard to help you wire it up correctly. If your amp cant handle the load the subwoofers are wired at, you need to change it, or you will burn up the amp eventually.

Yeah, that amp can't handle anything below 4 ohm bridge...

75 watts x 2 into a 4 Ohm load with less than .05% Thd+N

150 watts x 2 into a 2 Ohm load with less than 0.1% Thd+N

300 watts x 1 into a 4 Ohm load with less than 0.1% Thd+N

I'm sure it's seeing a 2 or 1 ohm bridge!!

Ok thanks guys, I think I can get my hands on a voltmeter tomorrow, so I'll test out the ohms and use the info you gave me, I'll let you know tomorrow on what the results are!

Take out 1 of them subs and take a picture of each of the terminals and post it up here.
a504df97cb5377335cddf2a4f3504349.jpg
ee45f1f8f4b1e7a0dfc1121167b8600e.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Sorry not 100% sure if that's what you meant

I would disconnect the ground wire and clean the paint around the bolt also. Should have bare metal
Yeah plan on sanding that black painted part down so it's all bare contact

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.