Suggestions on 6 channel amp/powering 3 way active front stage and driver selection.

Participant count
  • Participant list

JoeMama541

CarAudio.com Newbie
At the moment I'm trying to do a SQ system on a budget (oxymoron I know) but will upgrade gear as I can. I will also be running 1 or 2 subs, so it seems like for space and simplicity keeping it to 2 amps would be ideal, hence the 6 channel amp. Not to mention the DSP. I've been looking into the amp/DSP combos and from what I've read, Helix and JL Audio are really the only 2 DSP's I'd want to spend a decent chunk of cash on. One question I had was whether or not there's any benefit to using the same brand for the DSP/front amp and sub amp since they will be linked and subs will be tuned via the dsp? Also I would gladly take suggestions or real world experience on driver selection for a 3 way setup. Right now my goal is to keep the budget for front stage drivers under $1500. My top choices at the moment are Karma Mobile Audio drivers, the ScanSpeak Silver Series drivers from Madisound:

•ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 Tweeter Textile Dome​

•ScanSpeak Silver Series 16W-4531G06 6.5" Slit Paper Cone Woofer​

•ScanSpeak Silver Series 10M-4614G06 3" Fiberglass Cone Midrange

After that it's the usual brands...

Gladen, JL, Morel, Focal, DynAudio etc...

Thanks!

Last edited:
One question I had was whether or not there's any benefit to using the same brand for the DSP/front amp and sub amp since they will be linked and subs will be tuned via the dsp?
The sub amp is one place you can save a fair bit of money.theres no upside to running the same brand other than looks and because of the frequency played by the subs you won't hear a difference between a quality budget priced amp and a high dollar one

/\ DITTO/\

Maybe a 6 channel Helox P SIX or Audiocontrol D6.1200 up front.

JL is kind of the spendy side

Great selection on the front stage, no qualms there.

Subs, you'd have to be more specific as to which subs you intend to use, Many Monoblock options when it comes to subs and subwoofers. but maybe a pair of Focal 33v2's

Powered by an Helix M ONE (1000 watts for dual Focal 33v2 subs wired to 1 ohm)

Sky's the limit!

Last edited:
Personally I recommend stereo integrity speakers. M25, M3Carbon, TM65MKIV

They also make fantastic Amps and subs

Amps In the configuration you asked for
Sundown sdx 100.6 and sdx1200.1
Audison sr 6.600 and sr 1.500

Amps are much less important than the dsp as long as the power is clean. I can't tell the differenc in my cheap d4s mm100.4 and my alpine pdr-f50 even though the alpine is typically a highly regarded amp.

Helix ,audison, mosconi, minidsp, or jl dsp

Dsp amps are pricey but helix and audison options are quite good specifically the audison forza if you like the dsp software

/\ DITTO/\

Maybe a 6 channel Helox P SIX or Audiocontrol D6.1200 up front.

JL is kind of the spendy side

Great selection on the front stage, no qualms there.

Subs, you'd have to be more specific as to which subs you intend to use, Many Monoblock options when it comes to subs and subwoofers. but maybe a pair of Focal 33v2's

Powered by an Helix M ONE (1000 watts for dual Focal 33v2 subs wired to 1 ohm)

Sky's the limit!
To answer your question, for the sub stage, I am planning to run the IDMAX either 2 12's or one 15. I eventually plan to upgrade to the W7. I've run Image Dynamics in the past and the IDQ was a great little SQ driver and I've also used the JL 10w6 which of course sounded great. As far SQ subs that can match the output of the IDMAX/W6/W7, it looks like Stereo Integrity and Focal make some pretty nice subs. Is the Audiofrog GB woofer capable of the output levels of the afformentioned drivers or is it closer to an IDQ? I'm open to suggestions. Also I'm planning to run the subs sealed, but I'll build whatever's needed to reach my goal which is a nice linear response with no noticeable rolloff until around 28hz.

To answer your question, for the sub stage, I am planning to run the IDMAX either 2 12's or one 15. I eventually plan to upgrade to the W7. I've run Image Dynamics in the past and the IDQ was a great little SQ driver and I've also used the JL 10w6 which of course sounded great. As far SQ subs that can match the output of the IDMAX/W6/W7, it looks like Stereo Integrity and Focal make some pretty nice subs. Is the Audiofrog GB woofer capable of the output levels of the afformentioned drivers or is it closer to an IDQ? I'm open to suggestions. Also I'm planning to run the subs sealed, but I'll build whatever's needed to reach my goal which is a nice linear response with no noticeable rolloff until around 28hz.
The audio frog gb subs do have good output but aren't spl monsters I'd compare them to the w6 output wise while I believe they sound slightly better.

The stereo integrity sql I compare to the w7. more output with only a slight lose in sound quality and even that debatable

Dayton also has multiple line that would work the he, ho, hf, um all have their places.

Adire brahma is another high output Sq sub.

Focal might make some stellar subs in the power k lines and utopia lines but you pay alot of them.

The morel ultimo are really expensive and power hungry with less output than most want the ultimo slim looks intriguing

Hybrid audio has a few nice subs but nothing I would jump at.

The illusion carbon xl and carbon shallows are well know for being a sql driver

Really money and space is the limiting factor. Their are many many good options helix also makes some nice Sq subs.

Hertz also have the Mille legend line.

And personally I think a single 15 done right on 1000w is an excellent choice even over 2 12s on 500w each. Assuming you have the proper room and enclosure.

Last edited:
The audio frog gb subs do have good output but aren't spl monsters I'd compare them to the w6 output wise while I believe they sound slightly better.

The stereo integrity sql I compare to the w7. more output with only a slight lose in sound quality and even that debatable

Dayton also has multiple line that would work the he, ho, hf, um all have their places.

Adire brahma is another high output Sq sub.

Focal might make some stellar subs in the power k lines and utopia lines but you pay alot of them.

The morel ultimo are really expensive and power hungry with less output than most want the ultimo slim looks intriguing

Hybrid audio has a few nice subs but nothing I would jump at.

The illusion carbon xl and carbon shallows are well know for being a sql driver

Really money and space is the limiting factor. Their are many many good options helix also makes some nice Sq subs.

Hertz also have the Mille legend line.

And personally I think a single 15 done right on 1000w is an excellent choice even over 2 12s on 500w each. Assuming you have the proper room and enclosure.
The reason I didn't consider the Illusion Carbon stuff is that I think they're no longer around. I've always wanted to hear their carbon line components and subs but I don't want to buy if they're shut down. As usual, there's way too many options and I want them all, which is another reason I'm trying to pick the most budget conscious options while not sacrificing much performance. I've heard people mention Adire as SQ/SQL, but they certainly look like every other sub I've seen built for SPL. I don't doubt they probably sound better than most SPL woofers out there though. Stereo Integrity would most likely be my next choice. Probably will end up staying away from Focal and Morel for the cost factor unless I come across a super good deal. I personally have not used any Dayton products before but didn't see that they had anything that could compete with the really high end stuff. I really want to try Audiofrog but availability and cost probably won't let me right now. I REALLY want to buy the AudioFrog RTA mic setup but he's sold out on the website and no one else has them in stock....which reminds me, if I can't find the AF UUM 1 RTA kit, is there any other choices that are compatible? Andy's kit not only has the calibration file, but also the sound card which I. The only other usb rta mics I've seen that have those kinds of feature cost hundreds and hundreds more. I hope someday AF ends up releasing a version of the super insane DSP Andy built!

The reason I didn't consider the Illusion Carbon stuff is that I think they're no longer around. I've always wanted to hear their carbon line components and subs but I don't want to buy if they're shut down. As usual, there's way too many options and I want them all, which is another reason I'm trying to pick the most budget conscious options while not sacrificing much performance. I've heard people mention Adire as SQ/SQL, but they certainly look like every other sub I've seen built for SPL. I don't doubt they probably sound better than most SPL woofers out there though. Stereo Integrity would most likely be my next choice. Probably will end up staying away from Focal and Morel for the cost factor unless I come across a super good deal. I personally have not used any Dayton products before but didn't see that they had anything that could compete with the really high end stuff. I really want to try Audiofrog but availability and cost probably won't let me right now. I REALLY want to buy the AudioFrog RTA mic setup but he's sold out on the website and no one else has them in stock....which reminds me, if I can't find the AF UUM 1 RTA kit, is there any other choices that are compatible? Andy's kit not only has the calibration file, but also the sound card which I. The only other usb rta mics I've seen that have those kinds of feature cost hundreds and hundreds more. I hope someday AF ends up releasing a version of the super insane DSP Andy built!

The umm1 is just a rebadged dayton/minidsp mic.

I personally have a umik2 and use a regular usbc-usbc to hook it up to my laptop and a usbc-3.5mm adapter going into the aux of My head unit or inputs to my dsp to tune.

Andy's kit is fine but it's nothing special. If you want to do phase tuning you need an XLR mic with an external sound card like the solo rite Scarlett and a loop back cable.

Much as I like Andy and what he does that dsp will likely be 2k or more if he ever releases it.

I'll likely be going helix dsp3s next since I only need 8 channels
2 for the dd a series tweeters
2 for the stereo integrity m3carbons
2 for the stereo integrity tm65s
1 for my front sub
1for my rear subs

I don't run rearfill. The kids already say it's loud enough back there

The umm1 is just a rebadged dayton/minidsp mic.

I personally have a umik2 and use a regular usbc-usbc to hook it up to my laptop and a usbc-3.5mm adapter going into the aux of My head unit or inputs to my dsp to tune.

Andy's kit is fine but it's nothing special. If you want to do phase tuning you need an XLR mic with an external sound card like the solo rite Scarlett and a loop back cable.

Much as I like Andy and what he does that dsp will likely be 2k or more if he ever releases it.

I'll likely be going helix dsp3s next since I only need 8 channels
2 for the dd a series tweeters
2 for the stereo integrity m3carbons
2 for the stereo integrity tm65s
1 for my front sub
1for my rear subs

I don't run rearfill. The kids already say it's loud enough back there
That's good info thanks. So is the "sound card" included in the Audiofrog kit simply a 3.5mm to USB converter and not an actual sound card?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...