Sundown vs obsidian

brodeisel
10+ year member

The Cool Newb
iowa
I'm looking at getting to 12inch subs. The choice is between sundown or obsidian will be sending 1500 watts to them. So 750 each. I know that Jacob is working on both of them I was just wondering if the one is better then the other.

they are very different subs....obsidian's will have better low end extension, won't take lots of power like the sa's can
both are great subs
there low end is about the same. the Fs is not too much far apart. and the box will rule out that rule no matter what the Fs is, in most cases

I wasn't basing it on the Fs...I thought I read it posted a couple times, maybe it was comparing the skar and sa...which a lot of people say are very similar too

I've posted this a few times on here but I suppose it doesn't hurt to outline the differences between the drivers again.

There are a few items that the Obsidian’s share with the SA’s, but a short list of what is different between the two drivers is as follows:

Surround material

Surround shape

Cone thickness

Basket type

Top plate OD

Top plate ID

Top plate thickness

Magnet grade

Magnet OD

Magnet ID

Magnet thickness

Backplate OD

Backplate ID

Backplate thickness

Backplate machining

Pole ID

Pole height

VC cooling method

VC winding width (winding height)

VC OD (both D2 and D4 are different from the SA)

VC former vents

--I believe that below this line is what you are looking for--

Enclosure requirements

Thermal power handling (SA has the advantage)

On the TL the SA's are between 0.5 dB and 1 dB louder

F3 in specified enclosure sizes and types (OA's play a smidge lower - in Klippel testing the Fs on the Obsidian's is a little lower and Cms is slightly higher, which is indicative of more LFE with all other factors remaining the same)

Both drivers do use a Nomex spider, flat sewn-on leads, and a triple joint reinforcement advantage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.