swapping battery to Optima precuations?

lumpia1

Hey ya'll, gonna be swapping my stock battery to an Optima D35.. I have 100a current draw on my system, fused at battery and to two amps via d-block. When I swap the battery should I take any precautions like taking out the fuse at the battery then hooking the + term or leave it in there etc.... I really don't wanna disconnect anything where the amps are. Can I just follow this order without hurting the amps or anything?

1. disconnect - term

2. disconnect + term

3. put in optima

4. connect + term

5. connect + ring term of audio

6. connect - term

That's fine. As long as you disconnect the ground first, and reconnect it last, you don't need to worry about seperating the positive terminal and the audio terminal.

Just make sure everything connected before you ground the battery, that puts the strain of reconnection on the grounding point, rather than your fuses and electrical system.

Alright great. Also, I notice re-charging times. Is it necessary for 1st use? Like I should run the car for at least a certain amount of minutes?

They come charged enough to start the car and run just fine, but when i got my redtop, my voltage was ~13.5, and it's gonna depend on how long it was on the shelf.

I'd go for a cruise before cranking the system, and wouldn't advise playing the system BEFORE you start the car, but it's pretty plug-n-play.

Did you get the yellow or the red?

The yellows are nice, since they're rechargeable, but with the 3 year warranty on the reds, i don't mind a dead cell now and again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It's a win win

That's cracked out, I've never learned to do it that way. Reason being, some electronic devices will try to find ground if it's given power, you know a path, and if it finds a bad path, through something it shouldn't, it can fry circuits. Computers, Radios (AM/FM and Two-Way), Amps, almost anything will do this. Don't believe everything you read on the internet....

Now that actually makes sense. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just don't know what to think now, this is gonna go through my head every time i have to change a battery from now on.........

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Wohhh am I missing something, shouldn't you always hook the ground up first??????? and Disconnect it last?????

The reason for negative off first & on last is so that you dont touch your wrench to metal when removing the positive & get an instant welding lesson & blown fuses.

AC vs. DC, i believe you do different things... i've read pages of debate on weather current flows from the positive to the negative or vice versa...a ton of EE's debating both directions and nobody could convince the others who was right. I do know that the polarized connectors/plugs for DC power that i've seen had the exposed pin be positive and the socket be negative, which i thought was counter intuitive...

I don't think you should see a grounding issue causing fried circuits unless there was something internally shorting out anyway

It should be Neg first, like dave said if you hit the body of your car (or just about any metal) when disconnecting the Pos it will complete the circut and the full potential of the battery will be released through the wrench, usually welding it to the car, and severly burning your hand.

BUT, when your hooking up your AMP, you should do the Ground first, so if you accidently hit the amps case with some power it will travel to the ground, and not the internals of the amp.

Whoa, thanks guys for all the insight. I'll take it for a cruise first with all the ICE turned off.. And yes I got the yellow top. I will be following the step I mentioned above since that seems to be the right way to do it.

When you're hooking up an amp, it shouldn't matter whether you connect neg or pos first because your battery should be disconnected, and there should be no power while you hook up amps and stuff (this means draining juice out of caps too). Always disconnect neg to battery before working on any sort of 12 volt stuff in a modern car.

Deployed airbags etc. isn't good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

When you're hooking up an amp, it shouldn't matter whether you connect neg or pos first because your battery should be disconnected, and there should be no power while you hook up amps and stuff (this means draining juice out of caps too). Always disconnect neg to battery before working on any sort of 12 volt stuff in a modern car.
Deployed airbags etc. isn't good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
This man is correct. The order you connect everything other than the wires to your battery is not important, as they should not be plugged in anyway. It's just those last 2 wires, to the source of power, you want to do in a specific order.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.