Tang Band Underhung 6.5 Midbass

nismos14
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jersey
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-874

The W6-1721 6" midbass features a long throw, underhung 1-1/2" voice coil driven by a massive 50 oz. ferrite magnet. A shorting ring on the polepiece is responsible for the speaker's extremely low levels of second and third order harmonic distortion. This impressive motor is coupled to an optimized paper cone with rubber surround, supported by a cast aluminum frame. The driver's naturally high and smooth upper frequency rolloff facilitates simplified crossover designs.

Specifications: Power handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.4 ohms *Frequency range: 40-5,000 Hz *Fs: 40 Hz *SPL: 88 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 1.04 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.58 *Qes: .49 *Qts: .43 *Xmax: 8 mm *Dimensions: A: 6.95", B: 5.8", C: 4.3".

264-874L.jpg

Looks like a beast, reminds me of the RE XXX midbass.

C'mon, who goes by rated numbers? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

that FR graph looks amazing.

somehow i can not see this living up to that graph for $60each... if they made this in 8" i would by two right now. and a .44 QTS is just on the top end of IB ... i would not go over .45 - but .43 would be suited for an aperiodic enclosure as well... which would be ideal for a driver like this.

if it can play to 1.5khz and they make an 8 - ill get some.

somehow i can not see this living up to that graph for $60each... if they made this in 8" i would by two right now. and a .44 QTS is just on the top end of IB ... i would not go over .45 - but .43 would be suited for an aperiodic enclosure as well... which would be ideal for a driver like this.

yup yup

power handling just seems low
the new mag is XBL^2 and will reach mechanical limits off ~250w rms in some cases, but get just as loud as the previous mags.

underhung means its voice coil is shorter.. similar to the coil design of XBL^2. doesn't mean its bad but on music, your amp rarely if ever puts out rated rms power, even at max volume

this looks like an outstanding driver by the specs.. i might just get a pair for myself.

TB is a quality company and I trust their graphs...but don't expect these to do well off axis...at home its a different story...
As far as QTS values, you have it backwards. You want a HIGH QTS for a dipole configuration, otherwise the response drops off like a solid rock...

Why do you think the bandwagon PG RSDs have such great midbass? Look at their QTS //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.