TC Sounds OEM 12"

Participant count
  • Participant list

ddcmdb
10+ year member

Alright guys I need some advice. This subwoofer has a set of parameters that fit my application very well. I will be putting the TC-12 in the trunk of a Cadillac CTS Coupe.

I would like to come down in size compared to what I currently have. A little under 3 cubic feet.

Soo my question to you guys is..

Do I A. Put this in a sealed box and call it good. I've modeled and it seems to get flatter at about 1.4.

Option B. Recone this subwoofer into a 15", I already have the NOS 15" aluminum cone, collar, and spiders, and have coil availability. (Would allow for more wiring options instead of just a 4 ohm load.) Would keep this 15" in a sealed enclosure.

Option C. Keep it in a 12" and go ported. Again I've plotted this in WINISD and all of the programs suggest an extremely low box tuning. I'm unsure of what port area this driver typically enjoys.

Option D. Keep it in a 12" and go with a Passive Radiator setup along with it. Two 15" radiators, or 3 15" radiators.

Will consider all recommendations.

Subwoofer will be getting 500 for now until I make a decision on what I'm doing then I will upgrade to a 1k-1.2k to the subwoofer. This all depends on which setup I go with.

Thank You guys and all help is greatly appreciated.

First of all. Please do not recone it to something else. It's an excellent driver.

How loud do you like your music? What do you listen to? Is the trunk sealed off from the cabin?

When I say recone I'm just meaning building a 15" top assembly to attach to it. Loud is an absolute requirement.

Last setup was a single dd 9510 custom built with progressive spiders flat wound copper coil on 1500-1700 daily.

I listen to nothing but rap on a daily basis.. 2,000 plus songs in my database and 1700 are nothing but rap.

Trunk has fold down seats no ski hole. About a 60/40 split and both can fold down individually. Does not bother me to drive with it down daily. Before I took my 10 out, I had a seat down for the port to fire through daily. Plus it rattles less and sounds cleaner.

Lol you guys are party poopers

I can always bolt the too assembly back on.

But ok, ok, general consensus says to keep it stock.

You have experience with this driver? Have you modeled it?

Ported? Not a passive radiator?

based on your previous setup. go ported and call it a daydon't recone/change the driver please lol
Do you have experience with this woofer?

I ordered a T1500-1BDCP for this bad boy today.

I would never do anything to the alter the factory top assembly or hurt it...

What type of box? and you don't think the Passive Radiator is a good idea?

I swear it's not me...

This sub is just asking to get messed with..

It was all I wanna be a a sealed 15 with identical specs.. build me...

I said no..

Now it's asking for a different style build, passive radiator, t-line, TQWT, Tapered horn, etc.

Somebody help me build something nasty.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

I don't have real world experience with this driver but any of the modeling that I've done for this 12 basically makes it impossible for you to have any port area whatsoever and if you do have a little bit of port area then it's going to be so long it's not even funny... This is all based on achieving a flat response...

That's why I'm asking if someone has actually ran one in an application like this.

The passive radiator models well.. Flat response ALL the way down to 24 hertz in 2 cubes with 1100 grams on the PR.

That sounds like ear *** to me.

Looks like 3hp motor at a glance. Low tune will give flat response and single 15" passive should get you there a lot easier than trying to use a vent in 2 to 2.5 cube box.

I'd think 12" ported should get you about the same place as 15" sealed and likely offer better output below fs.

Alternately don't be afraid to tune low to mid 30's for a nice boost in output in that region.
It's actually not a 3 hp. The motor has 3 slugs and a tiny top plate and copper around the pole piece. There's stuff I'm missing I'm missing...

very close in appearance though.

View attachment 26551181

TC-12 OEM:

- OEM overstock TC-12.

- Black paper cone

- 1.5" wide NBR surround

- 28mm xmax

- 215 ounce motor

- 1200 watts RMS

- 3" wide, long-wind copper voice coil

- Dual 10" nomex spiders with woven leads

- Single 4 ohm DCR

T/S:

- Qts 0.464

- Qes 0.534

- Qms 3.55

- Fs 21Hz

- Res 3.11 ohms

- Ls 2.2 mH

- Lp 5.1 mH

- Rp 7.6 ohms

- Dia 235mm

- Vas 54 liters

- Mms 347 grams

- Cms 160 um/N

- BL 16.5Tm

- Spl 82dB

I have two PAS prototypes ran sealed and sounded awesome.

Ported or the 15" PR will both achieve great results.

Just go with your gut and give it a try

It's actually not a 3 hp. The motor has 3 slugs and a tiny top plate and copper around the pole piece. There's stuff I'm missing I'm missing...
very close in appearance though.

View attachment 26551181

TC-12 OEM:

- OEM overstock TC-12.

- Black paper cone

- 1.5" wide NBR surround

- 28mm xmax

- 215 ounce motor

- 1200 watts RMS

- 3" wide, long-wind copper voice coil

- Dual 10" nomex spiders with woven leads

- Single 4 ohm DCR

T/S:

- Qts 0.464

- Qes 0.534

- Qms 3.55

- Fs 21Hz

- Res 3.11 ohms

- Ls 2.2 mH

- Lp 5.1 mH

- Rp 7.6 ohms

- Dia 235mm

- Vas 54 liters

- Mms 347 grams

- Cms 160 um/N

- BL 16.5Tm

- Spl 82dB

Nice specs. Hard telling if you're going to get anything that'll model so nicely in 15".

Nice specs. Hard telling if you're going to get anything that'll model so nicely in 15".
I agree.. I have no idea how I could get the mass right of the cone to get the Fs correct or even within the ballpark.

This 12 has some added weight on the dust cap, and I'm talking serious added weight. Looks like a black plastic nut from one of the Passive Radiators glued to it.

I'm going to go with the PR. If I tune super low, I have flat response all the way to 22 tuned to 25 hertz.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.