The albino turbo build thread (2006 xA)

hasa68mustang
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
*edit* HAHA I guess I butchered the title or someone changed it, its supposed to read "albino turd" build log not turbo....

I picked up this turd last month and need to make it more enjoyable to drive because this thing is slow, and quiet, and small. lol

P290609_214701.jpg

I just kind of went out one night looking at cars not really planning on buying anything and kind of liked it. It still has 50k miles left on the warranty (at least when I bought it) and it gets good gas mileage (rated at 31 city and 38 highway) and its something a little different to my current 95 mustang with a 150 shot of nitrous and flowmaster mufflers with dumps.

P020709_1320.jpg

when I got it I didn't really plan on putting a system in it but plans changed. heres some pics of me screwing around with some subs/amps. I welded up a bracket for the kicker amp on the right to make it look floating but ditched it for more room.

P060709_0050.jpg

P060709_0036.jpg

P060709_0035.jpg

P060709_0032.jpg

P060709_0019.jpg

I started the radio off by purchasing some component speakers for the front doors and the kicker amp pictured (zx200.4). I had a friend a couple years ago with some Total Mobile Audio speakers that I liked so I bought them. I am still not sure how I like them now, they are rated at 120 watts rms but they don't really seem to take the power well. I am still running them with an rca converter off the stock unit which I know doesn't help.

P210709_092601.jpg

P210709_0941.jpg

Thats the stock speakers. They have a bracket that is made into the speaker so I had to make some mdf rings to make them fit.

P220709_1027.jpg

I placed the TMA tweeters in the stock tweeter location and set the tweeters at -3db on the crossover because I hate only being able to hear them.

all right now comes the fun stuff. I was walking through my garage and found one of the boxes that I used in the stang, and it looked like it would fit behind the back seat. I threw it back there and it fit perfect, it sits just below the window line. I made a cardboard template and transferred it to MDF to make a beauty panel.

P150709_2255.jpg

P160709_0002.jpg

and heres some more screwing around pics.

P170709_1145.jpg

P200709_191601.jpg

P170709_1143.jpg

after making the beauty panel and making it fit right I had to recone my btl. It had broken tinsels so I tore it down and glued it back together, let it sit for a day and now I have a fresh BTL with the new tinsels in the spider.

The BTL is a "fully loaded" triple stack magnet that is being powered by a planet audio 2250D. I work at Advance Autoparts and get good deals on optima batteries when we have people exchange them under warranty. A lot of times peoples cars will sit for months and leave the batteries connected and they slowly discharge, or they leave something on and now their car wont start so they come back to us demanding we exchange their defective battery. Sometimes they allow you to charge it up and it will test fine others wont. We sell them as "used" for $35 if they charge up fine and test out good. I have a D31 in the spare tire well and a D35 under the hood. I picked both up for $60 with my discount.

I covered the beauty panel with some material at Joannes Fabrics that I thought was kind of funny and different.

P040809_005201.jpg

P170809_003202.jpg

Thats how it sits now. The sub is still loosening up. I was supposed to have it metered yesterday but the shop was too busy so I will have to wait until wednesday. The box metered the lowest out of the 4 or 5 boxes that I had in the stang. The sub seems to do alot better in a bigger box but looses alot of the SQ that way and plays a smaller range of notes. I just hope that it will meter higher than the stang because the rca converter is still in use and the system has only been turned up for a couple of minutes so it really isn't loosening up fast.

I am still running the stock H/U sooooo if anyone has a double din for sale let me know.

dimensions on the box? i have the same car, looking to put a sub in there...
13"x15"x35" I have always been told sub up port back for a hatchback sort of car but since the box was like this already I kept it and it sounds pretty **** good to me so for now its staying.

where in florida are you?

Treasure Coast ..yea i if i dont fiberglass on im just gonna steal yours lol. no need to measure now. i have a mach 5 15" ready to go w. Ai7. just havent found the time to build yet.

Lol dammit I opened this hoping to see a crazy xA with a turbo. Oh well...still looks like you're having fun and you're a fellow Mustang guy so I forgive you!

haha yea sorry guys I kind of nick named the car the albino turd. I dunno how the hell I managed to misspell that into turbo lol. I have a spare turbo I could throw on this and all of the hard parts are REALLY cheap, the biggest thing is engine management. I guess the computer is really smart and learns to correct what you try to change with MAF tables and such. I have a turbocharged 68 mustang that is my baby and this thing is supposed to be my daily driver reliable car.

I had it metered today... I failed at the deebeez. everytime I go back and meter with a new box I always end up with a lower number. With the box in the position its in now I pulled a 138.7 @ 43hz and I flipped it on its side and ended up with a 139 @ 52 hz. kinda funny that flipping the box on its side and pulling it further back from the hatch would tune it so much higher.

Who cares about the spl numbers! Turbo that thing!! Run DRs on the front wheels and keep the stock hubcaps so it looks like your DD haha. JK man, but those cars have a lot of potential too. I think Jackson Racing makes a supercharger kit for them..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.