The Perfect Woofer

siloner
10+ year member

ok well since i moved out of the city and into the country ive been preatty bored... to keep me busy i started working on my car by adding some cosmetics here and there... well besides the wheels i think im done with that and wanted to start on my audio... i currently have 1 12'' alpine type-r with a kenwood amp and i honestly dont like the sound quality of it.... im currently saving up to buy a pair of 6.5'' components for the fronts and 6x9 2 ways for the back but since i have my sub and didnt like how the quality sounded so im planning to sell that set up and buy somthing better... can someone help me on the right one? i drive an 03 civic coupe and am only looking for 1 12" or 10" speaker... any help? and keep in mind im looking for sound quality

Thanks in advance and yes im a big noob to this

perfect subwoofer = MTX Thunder 1000000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Daniel_Christensen/Thunder_1000000

60_inch_subwoofer_2.jpg

For me, the best i've heard are my Image dynamics 12IDQ v2. I have them in a 4.1cu/ft tuned to 32hz ported box. I'm sure people on hear have heard other good ones. I'm sure these wont get as loud as 2 type r's, but they sound really good.

Honestly you can make just about any sub sound decent with the right box to go with it. I remember using a honda 5 inch bose subwoofer for a system just for giggles and had it in a box with the correct air space and it shook the rear view mirror haha. I'm not an alpine subwoofer fan myself... I think they are overrated and overpriced. Especially the type X's. Like I said before there are two types of subs. well three really. SPL and SQL... and the crappy china/walmart made ones. If you are honestly looking for great sound quality buy a sql subwoofer. stands for sound quality loudspeaker. I have 2 Arc audio ARC 12" subs in a sealed box with the correct airspace and they shake the crap out of my car and they hit precision notes. Like I use it for rap and metal, but with metal and the double bass hits real fast, these subs will hit each individual bass drum note extremely fast. And they will almost vibrate my car to pieces when I play Jeezy. The cool thing about these subs is that 1, Arc audio is hand made in California, 2, most rap songs you will need a "15 sub to hit most of the lower notes but these will hit them (I think they go down to 23 Herts), and they sound loud and amazing even in a sealed box. If you have the money go Arc audio. If you have a lot of money go with Focal subs. They cost about $1200 a piece but they are probably the most clean hitting subs I've ever heard in my life. Hope I helped

Honestly you can make just about any sub sound decent with the right box to go with it. I remember using a honda 5 inch bose subwoofer for a system just for giggles and had it in a box with the correct air space and it shook the rear view mirror haha. I'm not an alpine subwoofer fan myself... I think they are overrated and overpriced. Especially the type X's. Like I said before there are two types of subs. well three really. SPL and SQL... and the crappy china/walmart made ones. If you are honestly looking for great sound quality buy a sql subwoofer. stands for sound quality loudspeaker. I have 2 Arc audio ARC 12" subs in a sealed box with the correct airspace and they shake the crap out of my car and they hit precision notes. Like I use it for rap and metal, but with metal and the double bass hits real fast, these subs will hit each individual bass drum note extremely fast. And they will almost vibrate my car to pieces when I play Jeezy. The cool thing about these subs is that 1, Arc audio is hand made in California, 2, most rap songs you will need a "15 sub to hit most of the lower notes but these will hit them (I think they go down to 23 Herts), and they sound loud and amazing even in a sealed box. If you have the money go Arc audio. If you have a lot of money go with Focal subs. They cost about $1200 a piece but they are probably the most clean hitting subs I've ever heard in my life. Hope I helped
My 8inch Ascendant audio with an fs of 45hz will play to 35hz. yes, it is the box. you dont need 15's to "hit" low notes, just a good set-up.

lol at the 60" woofer.. @ haunz you think i should just get a better box? any reccomendations specs wise? cause the box i bought i got it from a swap meet... like i said i dont know what to look for... and supermax how do you think 1 would sound in a coupe?

Edit: @ cebbeler

not really planning to spend a ton of money in the setup i mean i wouldnt mind spending around 500 on it but not as much as 1200 for a speaker... the music is only for me, i mean yeah sure i wouldnt mind to let other people know im coming lol but im mostly interested in the sound quality inside and just for me

If you have a swamp meet box, there's your problem. I've never heard a pre-fab that i've liked. It's hard to say how a sub will sound in a car, i use it in my room, but the box is made to have a flat response which IMO does. I'm not familiar with type-r subs but ppl here are and can reccomend box size's. I'm sure you'll like your sub better in a well/decent built box. It's like night and day!

No such thing as the perfect woofer, but there is always the perfect CHEER! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

yeah i know that... what i mean by perfect woffer is a good sound quality one for my car or how can i make mine better besides the box now that i was told about it

For good SQ/SQL woofers. Look @ Fi Q, IDQ, IA Flatlyne, SSA Icon or Xcon, DC Level 3 or 4. And about a hundred more....

The most important thing will be your enclosure. You can download WinISD for free online and it will help you find the response curve of a woofer for a certain enclosure. For SQ, the flatter the better. If you go ported, port relatively low (30-34hz)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.