the "real" size box

Participant count
  • Participant list
um... real size box for what size xxx? there is a 12 15 and 18.....

The sites box size is simply for peoples average requirement for the sub. like a prefab box designed to help with the size of the sub. The boxes are a good place to start. But about 20% larger box is about a good place to start. Give me a few hrs to get intouch with RE and I'll give you some feedback as to what they says.

what are you trying to accomplish with the box? spl sql sq? because I am using a xxx 15 and I'm at 4.3 cubes with only about 1200 rms at best currently to it and its crazy loud!. Box is tuned at 32 htz and man its killer. I have a hard time listening at loud volumes listening to cd's because after about 30 seconds it starts to skip lol.

well i have 2 12s and one of the 2 burnt the lead wire to the coil =[ so im tryin to rigg suntin up and so far its workin and idk what im goin for...

i just want STUPID lows and decent highs dont care much for the highs cause the music i listen to...

and idk how or if it matters but the 7.9 cf box was in my trunk of a 90 accord.... i found it rather amazing that it fit...

well the box specs say online for a 2.2 cubed box for a single xxx I would say that 6 cubes would be plenty. maybe 6 cubes after all displacement tuned around 30 you would get silly low end bass and be bumping something crazy! what are you using to run it?

Actually from what Ive read and been told, 6 cubes is about right for the xxx12, only one of them, sealed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hide.gif.2d479cfd917eedfe201353b91522ceab.gif

Using RE's recommendations, or even like 20% larger, will definitely create a loud system, but that's because it will be rather peaky.

hmm thats big... so 30 hz tuned 6 cubez

and another question if i do a box thats ported do aeros L port or str8 port... which would sound the best cause isnt the aeros made for SPL??

hmm thats big... so 30 hz tuned 6 cubez
and another question if i do a box thats ported do aeros L port or str8 port... which would sound the best cause isnt the aeros made for SPL??
You misread my post. I said 6 cubes sealed. Ported would be (much) larger. Sorry for the bad news. This is exactly why I dislike RE these days, they are flat out dishonest about the XXX box sizes and many times purchasers do not realize this until they've already paid good money for a sub they likely cant fit in their vehicle without sacrificing performance in the form of too small of a box.
The good news is I think you'd be happier with a sealed box anyway. Its the best way to try and get all those millimeters of xmax out of the XXX that you paid to own. In a ported box, unless its extremely large, you wont likely come close to its full excursion potential without burning up the coil first, or deviated well away from enclosure tuning.

hmm well what do u think a ported box would be 8 plus??

i mean i can wall the hell out of my honda but i think it would look stupid with just 2 12s... but if thats what it calls for then the hell with it ill do it lolz

just gota get more power i guess... and yes i like the excursion that a sealed box has but its not very loud and i want loud also ...

hmm well what do u think a ported box would be 8 plus??
i mean i can wall the hell out of my honda but i think it would look stupid with just 2 12s... but if thats what it calls for then the hell with it ill do it lolz

just gota get more power i guess... and yes i like the excursion that a sealed box has but its not very loud and i want loud also ...
With around 50mm of xmax (iirc), it would be loud sealed. But if you just want a loud ported setup, I honestly believe you bought the wrong speakers.
I would guess well over 8 cubes each ported, probably more like 12, but I haven't owned one so I dont know. I was merely getting the 6 cubes sealed from the car audio mag review and subsequent discussion with the people at RE, who no doubt gave accurate enclosure recommendations to ensure a positive review of the speaker form the magazine.

i got these subs cause the xmax was massive cause i do the chopped n screwed songs so there low n slow
so idc bout numbers just wanna move air really...
Well xmax isn't nearly as important in ported boxes as it is in sealed ones. Not that is not important at all, but from what I understand, in their 'recommended' sized boxes the coil tends to melt long before they have much chance of coming even close to full excursion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

kwitcherbichin

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
kwitcherbichin
stantonsburg, nc
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date