Think I Need Voltage line driver for sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigbirney420
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Omaha, NE
I have been out of the game for a while.  Added kenwood DVD player to my 2010 Suburban as well as Rockford R1200 and and DC Level 3 15.  The voltage out from the Kenwood is pretty weak, quite a bit of alternator whine, and just doesn't seem to get enough juice.  I was looking into Audiocontrol overdrive.  is there anything else that will fit the bill?  Would be strictly for the sub channel

I have been out of the game for a while.  Added kenwood DVD player to my 2010 Suburban as well as Rockford R1200 and and DC Level 3 15.  The voltage out from the Kenwood is pretty weak, quite a bit of alternator whine, and just doesn't seem to get enough juice.  I was looking into Audiocontrol overdrive.  is there anything else that will fit the bill?  Would be strictly for the sub channel
a different deck. get something with 4 volts preout and find where the groud loop is to eliminate the whine. Where is the whine coming from? all the door speakers?

Mainly the sub.  I'm not going to replace the deck at this time, its only a few months old and just installed.  The Kenwood was supposed to have 4v pre outs on the sub output at least.  Its about a 10 foot run from head unit to the amp under the back seat.  I may just have to deal with it.  Its just my DD.

I vote strongly for yes, I've always preferred line driver in my setup. Line drivers are nice, even if you have "4v" & "5v" preouts. They can also overdrive the **** out of your amplifier input stage because not all amps are up to the task, so a good pairing is important. There's plenty of good ones out there, including the one you mentioned. Go for something that sends out a true 8v-15v and set it up properly, you won't regret it.

I vote strongly for yes, I've always preferred line driver in my setup. Line drivers are nice, even if you have "4v" & "5v" preouts. They can also overdrive the **** out of your amplifier input stage because not all amps are up to the task, so a good pairing is important. There's plenty of good ones out there, including the one you mentioned. Go for something that sends out a true 8v-15v and set it up properly, you won't regret it.
+1

o.png

Sub level is set at 0. Was not sure if I could turn that up or not. I know bass boost is bad. 
Theres your problem right there. The headunit won't make full preout voltage if the sub level isnt all the way up. You arw right avoiding the bass boost but sub level is an important setting. Turn your sub level all the way up and reset your gain with an oscope to detect where clipping begins or set the gain with your volume at 75-80% and make that volume setting the highest you go, knowing beyond that setting is the danger zone when clipping sets in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.