This cannot be good! Fried my amp. (Gut pics inside)

How expensive are the FET component parts? Couldn't be more than a few bucks for those at some online electronics outlet or ebay. You might just try replacing all of them yourself (maybe you can even source something of better quality) and see how it goes. It looks like an easy job with 3 solder points per FET and some heat synch compound.

Time to go with something better, Used AQ, Crescendo, or Sundown. Onlinecarstereo may take care of you, it's worth a shot.
I was actually going to buy the AQ1200. but i did not have enough for it yet. I have $198 in my account, and if there was anyway i could send it bacc and get the $209 i paid for it, i would really like the Saz 1500 or the Cresendo 2200.

How expensive are the FET component parts? Couldn't be more than a few bucks for those at some online electronics outlet or ebay. You might just try replacing all of them yourself (maybe you can even source something of better quality) and see how it goes. It looks like an easy job with 3 solder points per FET and some heat synch compound.

Repairing an amp ain't that easy young warrior. A lot of parts go bad without any physical damage and some needs to be matched in order to be reliable or it'll blow out again. You'll also need quite a few test and repair equipment before you can perform surgery at all, not to mention the education needed to know what everything does and what NOT to do.

Electronic parts are fairly cheap, the hard part is knowing how to repair... and that's beyond what most people can do.

Yea that is a possibility, I would really like to just get a refund and purchase a better amp. I have enough in my account that if there was anyway i can get a refund, i will almost have enough for an SAZ, or a Cresendo.

Repairing an amp ain't that easy young warrior. A lot of parts go bad without any physical damage and some needs to be matched in order to be reliable or it'll blow out again. You'll also need quite a few test and repair equipment before you can perform surgery at all, not to mention the education needed to know what everything does and what NOT to do.
Electronic parts are fairly cheap, the hard part is knowing how to repair... and that's beyond what most people can do.
I agree with you 100%. In my case since i dont have the knowledge, or any kind of baccground repairing an amplifier, i would end up doing it more worse than good.

You're right he may have fried more than the obvious FET parts that are visibly blown. But I live dangerously and have gotten away with easy $5-10 repairs before on amps just by taking a risk. If it were me, I'd give Soundstream a chance to swap it out or fix it. If they don't I'd try fixing it and probably would learn something in the process. But that's just me, MacGyver. This route isn't for the faint of heart, though, and you have to be ready to accept failure from the outset. If it's just the FETs then it could be easy. If you replace those and something still is fried, then the troubleshooting could be a learning experience, that's for sure.

You're right he may have fried more than the obvious FET parts that are visibly blown. But I live dangerously and have gotten away with easy $5-10 repairs before on amps just by taking a risk. If it were me, I'd give Soundstream a chance to swap it out or fix it. If they don't I'd try fixing it and probably would learn something in the process. But that's just me, MacGyver. This route isn't for the faint of heart, though, and you have to be ready to accept failure from the outset. If it's just the FETs then it could be easy. If you replace those and something still is fried, then the troubleshooting could be a learning experience, that's for sure.
Honestly i would not have a problem trying to fix it myself. I think this amp is pretty beast! Just a dam shame I mounted on my enclosure =[ When i purchased the Rubicon it was the best i could afford at the time, i really wanted to get the AQ 1200, or the Sundown SAZ 1200 or 1500, but i was a few dollars short so i settled with the Rubicon. If there was anyway i could get a refund that would be awesome. I have $198 right now and that would bump me up to $407 and the Sundown SAZ 1200 in $399. I have been eyeballing that amplifier for awhile now.

I wish i could get paid out on all my blown electronics..
It was installed incorrectly, and possibly water damage. And you want your money back?
Not necessarily, i would like to see if i can get swapped out for a new one or have Soundstream repair it.

What about vibration on amps in general? Lots of pressure in my trunk and even with the amps mounted on the side walls, they've got to be shakin' a little. Here's the setup I'm running:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/559208-volvo-s60-build-resurrected-old-school-8.html

Should I be concerned about vibration or is this more of an issue when the amps are mounted directly on the box? Aren't the better built amps designed to withstand the typical vibrations of a car audio system?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.