Time to REALLY test your Enclosure knowledge......NEED HELP

myYotaIsLoud
10+ year member

Lets see if anyone can offer me a concrete solution to my most recent purchase.

I drive a 1994 Toyota Pickup. Its regular cab with a bench seat. I've already removed the bracket for the jack so I could fit my 2 MTX 8's behind my seat. They are in a truck box thats 7.5" on the bottom, 3.5" on top, 16" tall and 16" deep. What I need to know is what dimensions should I build my next box to? It will be holding two MFW-12's. They require 1.9 cubic feet each to reside in a sealed box per the spec sheet. So I guess, all in all, I need to know: what dimensions, material type and thickness, and ported vs. sealed. I install car audio on the side, but have never tried to tackle the custom box build. Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated. Hoping to have it sketched up and ready for fab within the week. Thanks

I'm going to guess that its going to be tough to squeeze ~4cubes net behind the seat of a regular cab. (and still be able to sit in it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif) Contact RAM_Designs, if it can be done, he can design a box for your needs.

means, put the enclosure in the bed, and fire the port in the cab (band-pass, of course) hate to say it, but a pair of 12's can be real hard to get done right otherwise. i have seen a box bult using the back wall as one of the sides effectively simulating a slightly larger enclosure from the flex, but still you need to be short to ride.

agreed. Problem is I'm 6'2". Long legged at that. Would I be able to get away with a smaller enclosure if I ported the box instead of using a sealed box?

polyfill? Where would i find that? Basically, I will spare no expense and cut no corners for my truck.
Polyfill is great for "tricking" the subs into making them run in a smaller than optimum box. If you need a 1.9cf box and you have a 1.6 or so, you can stuff it with polyfill to make it work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif You can buy it at fabric stores and Walmart.

Sealed boxes are smaller than the requirements for a ported box. You're better off staying sealed if you want to save space.

Polyfill is great for "tricking" the subs into making them run in a smaller than optimum box. If you need a 1.9cf box and you have a 1.6 or so, you can stuff it with polyfill to make it work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif You can buy it at fabric stores and Walmart.
Sealed boxes are smaller than the requirements for a ported box. You're better off staying sealed if you want to save space.
Wow, that helped alot

another option is to do a bucket seat conversion, like me and most people i know have done with mini-trucks, even just for a better ride, not just for sub space. you sure you want to run 2-12's? imho, it's far better to let a single sub have it's space, than choke off 2

Does not trick the subs just slows down the waves in the box

First and foremost, that is the coolest GIF I've seen in a long time lol.

But about the polyfil. .... I have to say that Kole Audio recommended a 50%-75% insulation fill inside the box for sound dampening and increased sub performance.

And I just talked to someone at Kole about the cubic feet needed for my sub. He said that I evidently recieved a typo or outdated list. I only need 1.2 cubic feet instead of 1.9. But does that mean that my box HAS to be 1.2? Or can I go with a 1.4 or another variation. because I did find a box design that is Sealed and will fit behind the seat. It says 1.04cubic feet, but my math was closer to 1.4.

The only reason I am being so picky is because this will be my final setup for my truck as far as audio goes. When its complete I'm moving to other things on my project list. so Basically, I'm not doing anything until I'm positive it will be perfect. And now, with saying that, understand that I have to stare at these beauties without being able to use them lol. Its killing me.

But as always, I sincerely appreciate EVERY post on my thread because it gets me closer to my end goal.

Oh, btw, akheathen, I have thought about the bench to bucket conversion before, but your mention of it today brought up a good question. What would I do about brackets? and any suggestions on best buckets for the swap?(either personal choice, looks, or availability...doesn't matter)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.