Top plate steel grades

Participant count
  • Participant list
Common grades are 1020, 1018, 1010, 1006.

There are some other materials such as Permendur that work well but it's incredibly expensive (about 12x the price of low-carbon steel last time I checked).

Simulation in my Neo motor design show an increase of about 17% in motor force going from 1010 to Permendur for the top-plate, pole, and back-plate (granted the design is WAY saturated... a normal design wouldn't gain as much)... but I'd hate to imagine the cost.

Common grades are 1020, 1018, 1010, 1006.
There are some other materials such as Permendur that work well but it's incredibly expensive (about 12x the price of low-carbon steel last time I checked).

Simulation in my Neo motor design show an increase of about 17% in motor force going from 1010 to Permendur for the top-plate, pole, and back-plate (granted the design is WAY saturated... a normal design wouldn't gain as much)... but I'd hate to imagine the cost.
I don't care about the cost, I'll save up for a year or so. Would you build it for me? Serious question

I don't care about the cost, I'll save up for a year or so. Would you build it for me? Serious question
It may also require making toolings for the T-Yoke & Top Plate -- Permendur has poor machinability. Would easily be into the 1000s just for the toolings.

It may also require making toolings for the T-Yoke & Top Plate -- Permendur has poor machinability. Would easily be into the 1000s just for the toolings.
That's fine, just give me the summer to save up. I've got $1,450 right now and get about $600 every two weeks in the summer. Right now, I only get about $300 every two weeks.

interesting Jake i have never heard of this material.

1018 is the most common in the states. i wish 1006 was here in the states but it just isnt, over in china is where it's at.

if your into a custom motor i can build it for you, just fyi 1 off motors are expencive...

looked it up cobalt mixed with iron that would be fun to machine.

can be done just smaller cuts and alot coolant. 1006-1018 can be "hogged" because its softer steal and has less carbon. what happens when you have steel with more carbon in it you have to machine differently because you can work harden it from heat.

interesting Jake i have never heard of this material.
1018 is the most common in the states. i wish 1006 was here in the states but it just isnt, over in china is where it's at.

if your into a custom motor i can build it for you, just fyi 1 off motors are expencive...
If you have made 1 off motors, can you PM me some pictures of your work?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.