Troubleshooting head unit line level output? (No rear sound)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dave88LX
10+ year member

Installed a Pioneer DEH-P5900IB (few years old, all working when I pulled it) head unit into my '05 Civic that I had in the old Civic. I pulled an old JVC out of this '05 Civic, and all speakers were working. Connected the car adapter pigtail to the head unit pigtail on the new unit, and I'm only getting output from the front speakers. When I fade to rear, silence. Tried to see if there was some weird setting that would turn off the rear speakers but I can't find one.

I continuity/short tested the green/purple wires in the wiring harness and they all are good.

I only have a multimeter and test light as far as testing tools go. Any good way to test for output on the rear channels? I plan to eventually get a newer better head unit but I was wanting to just run this one for now. RCA preouts are a future option but I was hoping to just get this up for the time being.

Thanks.

I guess this could have gone under the "Installation Help" forum, I didn't catch it before.

I found the manual online:

Switching The Auxiliary Setting; Switching The Dimmer Setting; Adjusting The Brightness; Setting The Rear Output And Subwoofer Controller - Pioneer DEH-P5900IB Operation Manual [Page 26]

The only thing I saw addressing it was this below, but full-range is set by default and I double-checked on the head unit that it was set to full-range.

This unit's rear output (rear speaker leads out- put and RCA rear output) can be used for full- range speaker (Rear SP :F.Range) or subwoo- fer (Rear SP :S/W) connection. If you switch the rear output setting to Rear SP :S/W, you can connect a rear speaker lead directly to a subwoofer without using an auxiliary amp. Initially, the unit is set for rear full-range speak- er connection (Rear SP :F.Range).

1 Use MULTI-CONTROL to select S/W control.

2 Press MULTI-CONTROL to switch the rear output setting. Pressing MULTI-CONTROL will switch be- tween Rear SP :F.Range (full-range speaker) and Rear SP :S/W (subwoofer) and that status will be displayed.

# When no subwoofer is connected to the rear output, select Rear SP :F.Range.

# When a subwoofer is connected to the rear output, set for subwoofer Rear SP :S/W.

Notes

! Even if you change this setting, there is no output unless you turn the subwoofer output on (refer to Using subwoofer output on page 23).

! If you change this setting, subwoofer output in the audio menu return to the factory set- tings.

! Both rear speaker leads outputs and RCA rear output are switched simultaneously in this setting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.