FEATURED Two 15"s in a Nissan 350z [WIP]

SPLBassJunkie

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm new so, hello from Australia.

Current iteration of my setup, which has evolved several times over the last few years:
Stock 350z HR Alternator (130amp)
Taramps MD5000.1 (2ohm model)
2x 15" HammerTech HCW15
40ah Yinlong LTO cells with active BMS balancer (in the post, on the way... arrives in December!)
An old 200X era Pioneer headunit AVH-275BT (I think?)
All 0AWG cable, including big 3 upgrade.

Backstory:
This system replaces a setup I had with 2x 12" Shok Industries Triton Subs on a 3k Sundown Audio amplifier. I also had a bank of AGM cells which is now out of the vehicle to make way for the LTO bank. I opted to take them out now rather than closer to the arrival of my LTO bank, because I had one AGM fail on me and I had to pull them all out to find which one. It was easier to just leave them out after pulling them to find the fault anyway. Old system did 149db at 44hz, but it couldn't do the lows - so I fixed it.

Current:
I can still get down without dropping below ~12.5v but I'm only able to give this thing about half of it's capabilities. Gains are tuned down, much lower than what will be possible once the LTO bank arrives... but it's still savage as absolute fuq. Even playing like this, I can hear that I am *substantially* louder than before. I'm actually a little bit afraid the windshield is going to let go once this thing is on full power.

Todo:
Still in the process of fabricating the trim panels and figuring out where a bit more deadening is needed. There's a resonance frequency in the car itself around 40hz goes crazy at loud volumes and I can hear it buzzing/flapping/ripping itself to pieces... been a pain trying to find it. Got plenty of deadening already but chasing problem spots never ends sometimes. Cable management is still outstanding for the most part, stay tuned for the "clean" look.

The Anyway Q&A:
- How did I fit this in such a small car? Angle grinder go brrrrt.
- Who built this? I did all of it myself with assistance from a friend, from design to construction to installation.
- Is the artwork made with AI? Partially, and partially hand edited with Photoshop. Took me 5 days to make it and be happy.
- What does it meter? No idea, because I'm not metering it until it's at full power but I'm guessing low/mid 50's
- What are box specs? 7.45^3 total before displacement, around 3.25 per sub after displacement. Port tuned to 32Hz with two peaks at around 29 and 36, smashes lows down to about 26.
- Why don't you replace the BOSE factory speakers? Because I like them and they're fine for me, though I am considering adding some CAT7 super tweeters and replace the rear speakers with some HammerTech two ways.
- Why is your car automatic? Ask my wife.

Testimonials:
"From a short distance, your car looks fuzzy" - Nick
"What did you say? What? Huh?!" - My Wife
"But WHY?!" - My Mother
"WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUQ" - Every stranger in the carpark

Attachments

• ht350z.png
    ht350z.png
    419.6 KB · Views: 54
  • artwork.jpg
    artwork.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 85
  • wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 87
  • taramps.jpg
    taramps.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Box01.JPG
    Box01.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Box02.JPG
    Box02.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 350z.png
    350z.png
    895.7 KB · Views: 56
  • gotspl.png
    gotspl.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20191203_134751.jpg
    20191203_134751.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Man that looks sick! The 350 Z is one of my favorite cars. I'm impressed you fit two 15s in there. I bet it sounds amazing
Thanks mate!
It fits pretty good, with a little room to spare if I'm honest... could have gone a little wider, but it works good like it is. The angle grinder really helped convince it all to fit right in there. :cool:

Over the moon with how it performs, already doing hair tricks at 33Hz and I haven't even put this thing on full tilt because of my limited power situation at the moment. Can't wait for Christmas this year, my LTO bank is set to arrive on the 22nd of December o_O

Attachments

• emocutcut.jpg
    emocutcut.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Unfortunately, my port velocity is a little high on frequencies below about 30Hz, so I helped the situation quite a bit by adding some fuzz. The mounting holes on the sub gasket also plugged up with some 9mm casings my buddy fired at the range... they fit perfectly!

Attachments

• fuzzy.jpg
    fuzzy.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 47
Unfortunately, my port velocity is a little high on frequencies below about 30Hz, so I helped the situation quite a bit by adding some fuzz. The mounting holes on the sub gasket also plugged up with some 9mm casings my buddy fired at the range... they fit perfectly!
That is one nice setup. If I was a hater, I would make up faults to point out. The girl art pic looks awesome.

Those midranges firing in the back of your head must sound godawful but overall workmanship looks very nice. Also 40AH is going to be pushed really hard trying to drive a 5KW amp. Those cells aren't cheap but if you don't abuse them they're meant to last 20 years or more. I'd double or triple that battery bank size.

Those midranges firing in the back of your head must sound godawful but overall workmanship looks very nice. Also 40AH is going to be pushed really hard trying to drive a 5KW amp. Those cells aren't cheap but if you don't abuse them they're meant to last 20 years or more. I'd double or triple that battery bank size.
Thanks man, I appreciate it :D

They don't sound bad at all, but I guess that's subjective... Ultimately I'd like to replace them with some nicer 2-ways, but just taking baby-budget steps at the moment xD

System handles surprisingly well on stock electrical, and it did great on the AGMs while they were working until one failed. I calculated I should get around 6 minutes at full tilt once the 40ah cell goes in, which is more than enough for me... most of the time I drive on 1/4 of the volume but for a demo I should get a couple of songs before I have to charge. Second cell not out of the question but the next item on the list is a high output alternator.

Everything is so expensive in Australia, we get ripped-off pretty hard. In this economy, and with 3 kids and a family to take care of... it's slow steps forward :D

Everything is so expensive in Australia
Not cheap here either, which is all the more reason to take care of the things you do buy. Once you get beyond about 3C on those YingLong cells performance and cycle life drops off rather quickly. I would add more to that battery bank before buying a bigger alternator especially if you mostly just drive around at lower volume and only bang a few songs in a row really hard.

Hmmm, discharge rating is supposed to be 10C, and charge rate 3C. Discharge 380amp continual, 600amp burst, or something around that. Not sure which model/cells you're referring to but the rating on the ones I'm getting look pretty good. I will keep it in mind though, I guess I will see how my voltages go and figure it out from there.

The idea/theory behind a bigger alternator is it will take the brunt of the current, reducing the duty on the battery. Since I'm only running a 5k amp, and it's really only seeing about 3.7k after box rise - I should, on paper at least, be able to get away with a 250a alternator and no battery bank at all :/

Weirdly, even with stock electrical at the moment, I can still demo pretty loud an maintain ~12.5v but the amp is tuned down a fair bit. When I had my AGM bank in the back, it was noticeably louder by magnitudes of "whoa"... but it gets down hard even now. I can't wait to see what it does, even on this 40a bank but I will definitely look at a second one if it doesn't perform the way I expect.

YinLong finally arrived after a 2 month wait!

First half of the battery box is built and in the back with the cells all hooked up. It's not pretty yet and there's zero cable management. Just had to test it out first before I pull it down again and make it look nice :D

I will make a lid/cover and add some nice handles with some lighting and maybe kick them up on a 45° angle or something... paint it all, etc.

Here's a pic of the current test fit:
yinlong.jpg

I can finally really give it the juice, tomorrow will be spent doing a full re-tune but even on the current amp configuration, it already sounds a LOT better.

I should be able to get it looking pretty nice by the end of this coming weekend... I can already sense round 3 of sound deadening inbound.

Have also done a little port work and installed some round-offs which I have yet to paint. I also added some fur on the short walls of the port to try and slow down some of my air movement. In combination they've both helped quite a good deal with the velocity issues I was experiencing to the point where I only hear chuffing at 24-25Hz, at the worst spot in the curve.

Love it or hate it, I think it's fun.
port-rounds.jpg

Had to get a new number plate to go along with the whole thing.
Still waiting on my pack of neodymium magnets to arrive so I can finish the interior panels and a few other things.
Should be getting close to "done(tm)" by the end of January but I still have a bunch of stuff to get done.

Merry Christmas 2023 everyone!

Attachments

• SPL350.jpg
    SPL350.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 24
Ended up metering lower than I hoped, but high enough I'm still very happy. 146.68db @35Hz can't be mad at that. Pulls hair tricks no problem and 145+ is easy loud enough for me as a daily bassbox :D

I have done a few additions but nothing worth posting up yet... hopefully I will get the LTO bank looking good and finish up the install with all the extra details and what-not. I have added some double power and double ground runs for the amp which gave me an extra half a volt roughly at the volt meter.

Might be able to scrape the score up a bit if I venture into clipping, but not really interested since I can already get the subs to start smelling after giving it the absolute beans for a good few minutes. I used to like the smell of voice coils but now it just smells like money so I try not to do that xD

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...