two 8's or one 12?

jsluss17
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
right now i have an sa-12 but kind of want to recone that into an sa-8 and buy another one to get two of them. which would set up would be louder and which one would get lower? right now the 12 is in a 1.73 cubic foot box tuned to 33 hz and i would probably just turn that box into a box for the two 8's. if not then i could just build a new one with around the same specs. it's powered off a kicker dx1000.1 the one that does 1000 watts at 2 ohms

The SA-8 and SA-12 use different motors. The SA-8 utilizes a 2" voice coil, while the SA-12 uses a 2.5". So you'd have to sell your woofer and buy two SA-8s if you wanted to go that route.

However, you'd have more motor force with the two 8's, so that would be my choice.

If you would rather not spend the money on 2 8s then I would suggest changing your box since that's the cheaper route and if you still don't like the way it sound then I would suggest going with the 8s but if your not to concerned with spending the money then I would go with the 8s and a new box all together

well to be honest i'm happy with my setup right now everyone's impressed that it's only 1 12 most people think it's 2 i just wanna try switching things up cuz i get bored. anyone have any experience trying to fit a 15 in the trunk of a 2003 mustang?

please respond. wouldn't two 8 inch subs have more cone area than 1 12? or am i just dumb
no, the formula is pi* r^2

for the 12 it's 3.1415*6^2 = 113.09 versus the two 8s which is 2*(3.1415*4^2) = 100.53

Anyway, fitting a 15 in the trunk of the mustang is possible if you do woofer up port sideways, but it's going to be VERY tight and you are probably going to have to actually build the box inside the trunk.

no, the formula is pi* r^2
for the 12 it's 3.1415*6^2 = 113.09 versus the two 8s which is 2*(3.1415*4^2) = 100.53

Anyway, fitting a 15 in the trunk of the mustang is possible if you do woofer up port sideways, but it's going to be VERY tight and you are probably going to have to actually build the box inside the trunk.
ah ok so yeah im just dumb. but yeah thats how i had to do my twelve is woofer up port sideways so idk if i could do a 15 because i don't want to build in the trunk. but good news is i just learned they make skar vvx 8's which i did not know. has anyone heard these yet? i've always wanted to try skar

ah ok so yeah im just dumb. but yeah thats how i had to do my twelve is woofer up port sideways so idk if i could do a 15 because i don't want to build in the trunk. but good news is i just learned they make skar vvx 8's which i did not know. has anyone heard these yet? i've always wanted to try skar
you could do two 10s in the trunk of that mustang, I've seen that done multiple times and it works great. I even did three 10s in the trunk of a mustang once in a sealed box, which worked out great too.

As far as doing 8s... yeah they're interesting, but within the same line of woofers, the bigger ones almost always player louder and lower.

you could do two 10s in the trunk of that mustang, I've seen that done multiple times and it works great. I even did three 10s in the trunk of a mustang once in a sealed box, which worked out great too.
As far as doing 8s... yeah they're interesting, but within the same line of woofers, the bigger ones almost always player louder and lower.
do you know any of the dimensions of the box or anything? because i'd rather do ported for sure and i really just wanted to do 8's to be different but no one i know has skar or sundown so i guess i'm already different. also 8's are 50 bucks cheaper each which is pretty nice i'm kind of on a budget. but 2 skar vvx 8's vs 1 sa-12 you'd say the sa-12 would be better?

do you know any of the dimensions of the box or anything? because i'd rather do ported for sure and i really just wanted to do 8's to be different but no one i know has skar or sundown so i guess i'm already different. also 8's are 50 bucks cheaper each which is pretty nice i'm kind of on a budget. but 2 skar vvx 8's vs 1 sa-12 you'd say the sa-12 would be better?
I can't say for sure, there are too many variables. The single 12" has more cone area, but the two 8s can handle more power overall. It's really a crap shoot. Most likely it will sound different but not much better overall. It might be an enjoyable change for a couple months but the novelty will wear off and you'll eventually wish you spent your money on something more meaningful, like a more powerful amp and better electrical. Personally I would just save my money and upgrade to either two 10s or a better 12", plus more power.

I can't say for sure, there are too many variables. The single 12" has more cone area, but the two 8s can handle more power overall. It's really a crap shoot. Most likely it will sound different but not much better overall. It might be an enjoyable change for a couple months but the novelty will wear off and you'll eventually wish you spent your money on something more meaningful, like a more powerful amp and better electrical. Personally I would just save my money and upgrade to either two 10s or a better 12", plus more power.
alright thanks for the input i might go with 2 10s now if i can. sorry for the last question but how do you think 2 10s sealed will sound compared to the 1 12 ported? not sure which tens yet probably skar vvx or dayton ho's. or 2 dcon 10s now i didnt think of that before

A member on here fit a OA 15 box in the truck of his civic without having to build in the trunk. If a civic fit a 15 i bet a mustang could

Ide try and fit the 15

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jsluss17

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
jsluss17
Scottsdale, AZ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date