Two-way versus three-way Focal speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

DeruDog

UK
I am considering the Focal K2 Power 165 or the Focal PS 165 F3. The first set is a 6-1/2" two-way system in their Power/Elite and the second is a 6-1/2" three-way system in their Expert/Performance line. I am not sure which set would give me the best sound. I am going to be using these speakers in the front doors of my car, with different sets for fill in the back and a 10" subwoofer. My goal is good sound quality for rock, blues, and acoustic music. I will also be using a DSP (probably a BitTen) and a 75-100 Watt-per-channel 4-way amp (Probably ARC or Gladen) if that makes a difference.

I appreciate any recommendations or experiences with comparing very-high quality two-way speakers and high-quality three way speakers.

Are you having this system installed and tuned by a shop? I know there are ways to get all of this equipment online, but all of these brands are supported by retail stores who should employ trained technicians.

Are you having this system installed and tuned by a shop? I know there are ways to get all of this equipment online, but all of these brands are supported by retail stores who should employ trained technicians.
I am heading to my local shop this weekend, having done my research. My intent is to do the install myself and then have them tune it. I will also run the plan past them and this forum before I install the first wire (or piece of sound deadening) so I can avoid mistakes. I don't want to get to the shop for the tune and find out I need to pull the carpets one more time. In the coming weeks I will start an install log with photos. Wish me luck!

Also, any thoughts on the speakers? I am getting a good deal on Focal (and Mosconi) since I am stationed in the UK right now. That said, I can also get USPS delivered for domestic rates, so I have the option of US brands as well.

If you have a DSP or whatnot, tuning part is the easiest part. Dont rely on a shop unless you need to borrow their real time analyzer.
You're not giving nearly enough credit to how much work and knowledge comes together to make a vehicle sound good. You know it takes work. It takes training and experience. While not all shops get it right and know how to properly use a DSP, it's at least worth it for an amateur to have a shop which sells high end car audio products to prepare a quote after a consultation with the vehicle present.

You're not giving nearly enough credit to how much work and knowledge comes together to make a vehicle sound good. You know it takes work. It takes training and experience. While not all shops get it right and know how to properly use a DSP, it's at least worth it for an amateur to have a shop which sells high end car audio products to prepare a quote after a consultation with the vehicle present.
Well the proper tuning part is the install but he's doing that himself so the most important aspect of proper tuning of the system is already in his hands, not the shop.

yup, either do it yourself all the way if you know how to do a proper SQ style install(tune), or let the shop do it all the way.
I actually don't know what a proper SQ install looks like beyond trial and error. Are there considerations that you would recommend. I am pretty handy and there is space in the doors to aim the mid-range, 3" speakers. The 6" do not have as much flexibility, but the tweeters should also have enough space to aim. Do I aim everything as close to my ears as possible? Mostly I will be alone in the car, commuting to work.

Is there a standard place to start with the crossovers? I was thinking that the documentation for the speakers themselves would have some advice on placement and crossover adjustment.

Thanks for any advice. Also, do you have advice on which set will give me better SQ? No one has yet actually responded to my original dilemma. Is your advice to either go with the two-way set self installed, or the three-way set installed by the shop? If so, I can price each of those and make a decision.

Thanks.

If your going to buy Focal 3 way set, have the shop install it and tune it.
Which would have the better sound? Three-way or two-way systems that I mentioned above, assuming it is installed by the shop? Or is my choice between two-way self-install, or three-way shop install? If that is the case, would the three way component system of lower quality still sound better? I'm not sure what the answer to the original question is.

My friend worked for tweeter years ago while in business of course. Guy bought them utopia set which were like $5000.00 or something like that. Focal sent a rep out to tune his stereo at the shop.

Well the proper tuning part is the install but he's doing that himself so the most important aspect of proper tuning of the system is already in his hands, not the shop.
How do I "properly tune" my system, with the three-ways and the two-ways? I have seen a two-way, professional install, on this car on one of the forums, so I have an idea about how the speakers would be placed and installed. No idea on the three-way, though. I am a patient and handy dude, so I am willing to go through quite a bit of trial and error to get it right. If there is a starting place, and then an adjustment methodology, that would be great.

My car has stock places for all three speakers, so I could just mount them there. Or I could start with the mids and tweeters pointed at my ears. Or pointed wherever.

Then with the crossovers, I can leave them accessible for tuning as well. Where should I start and which ones should I begin experimenting with?

Thanks for all the input. It has been a decade since I installed a system and never did a component system.

Which would have the better sound? Three-way or two-way systems that I mentioned above, assuming it is installed by the shop? Or is my choice between two-way self-install, or three-way shop install? If that is the case, would the three way component system of lower quality still sound better? I'm not sure what the answer to the original question is.
3way would sound better if done right, but the 2 way is also very capable if done right. I would do the 3way thou. and let a top notch shop do the install and tunning.

3way would sound better if done right, but the 2 way is also very capable if done right. I would do the 3way thou. and let a top notch shop do the install and tunning.
I have been doing research for the past week, and can't really find any information on "proper install and tuning" of 3-way components. The best I can find are posts and articles on how to tune the crossovers, time delay, and EQ. Also, there are opinions on positioning, but I am sticking with the stock placement. I will, however, point the speakers in the correct (at the listener on the opposite side of the car, according to Focal) direction as much as possible behind the door panels.

Fabrication in wood and metal is my hobby, so I hesitate to let someone else do it. I enjoy it too much!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.