un ported enclosure = fail??

It depends on the music you listen to, I perfer a ported box it will give you more low bass. Ported boxes are more for SQ, more tighter bass.
Someone is a little confused.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You will get a lot of opinions on which is better or the type of sound each does but really what it comes down to is the actual design. Sealed is considered to be better in term's of sound quality but a properly built and designed ported box will sound really good and will be louder. If I were in your shoes I would go with a ported design and see what you think. If you aren't happy with it then when you get a little money together you can build a sealed box. I have always used ported but that's because I have only owned subs that were meant to be put into ported enclosures. I think you would be more then happy with any choice you made considering it sound's like you have never owned a system or had this nice of a system. Do you have any door speaker's or anything?
I say do the opposite. Sealed boxes are easier since no port calculations to do, especially for a noob, so make a sealed box, try it and see if you like it. If not, then spend all the time on a ported box.

You could always add an external PVC port on the cheap....
I was thinking this.

Now im thinking about scratching the whole cheap box idea, marcotheclepto is helping me design a ported box.

Going to go to home depot, buy the wood, have them cut it out to the dimensions he gave me, and staple this box together

(not serious about the staple part, ive got tape)

JimJ's answers

x2.

Have some one post up the frequency response of a ported box. Then compare it to the flat frequency responce of a sealed. Then make your decision. If you like more output with a peak go ported.

If you want a smooth responce in all frequencies go sealed.

Sure ported is louder all things considered but if you heard my Diamond audio 15 TDX with it's 2400 watt amp in it's sealed box you might think sealed is loud enough...While sounding good.

It depends on the music you listen to, I perfer a ported box it will give you more low bass. Ported boxes are more for SQ, more tighter bass.
you just contradicted your self with a wrong statement idiot.

/your life

To the OP:

There is nothing wrong with using a sealed box, but the one you posted looks to be a prefab and can be easily pulled apart with bare hands. 90% of all prefabs aren't even assembled w/ wood glue.

With $20 bucks you can build yourself a sealed box that will perform awesome.

If you spend a little more like $40, buy a sheet of 4 X 8 and build a perfect sealed and perfect ported box and see which one you like.

People say this forum is biased in favor of ported boxes. Ive disagreed with that idea before. But, this isn't even the first time Ive seen a sealed box referred to as 'un ported'... I guess Im gonna have to change my stance on the debate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

What a beautiful not-daytime we are having here. Its very not-hot, but also not too not-cold either. Maybe my not-wife will gimme some not-plutonic relations tonight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.