Using my old amps for new installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gregavi

Hi, I just bought a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid and want to upgrade the audio system. I still have my old car that has a 10" sub in box driven by a Precision Power PC2300 mono amp and a pair of MB Quart separates (Can't remember what size. Whatever size fits a 1997 Camry) driven by a Precision Power PC4400 amp. The local auto stereo shop wanted to sell me (and install) an Alpine 5 Ch amp and a subwoofer for a bit over $1k. I said I would think about it. While driving home I thought "why not use the equipment from my old car. At least the amps and subby." The amps are old, but they gotta be better than some of the cheap ones on the market today. PPI had a good reputation when I bought them many years ago.

The problem is, my new car's head unit does not have pre outs and the amps don't have speaker level inputs. Is there an adapter that would solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

I've heard there are problems with the stock head unit playing certain frequencies. It might be wise to save and buy the dash kit and a good aftermarket HU. You're looking at around $300-400.

I've heard there are problems with the stock head unit playing certain frequencies. It might be wise to save and buy the dash kit and a good aftermarket HU. You're looking at around $300-400.
The 2013 fusion is a different model than 2012 and I'm pretty sure there isn't a dash kit for it yet

If you only need 2 channels of RCAs, this is a nice LOC.
PAC SOEM-T (soemt) Premium 120W, 2-Channel Adjustable Line Out
Thanks. I did see that one while searching online for one. I think 2 channels if fine.

What I don't get is how I could use my 2 amps (1 Mono and 1 -2 channel) for subby and mains? There would have to be a crossover in the chain at some point.

To answer TCG: I have no intention of changing my HU. It's too integrated into the interface of the vehicle. Voice commands, phone functions etc. I think outboard amp and subby will be fine. Not looking to win any competitions.

audiocontrol! have alook at there products.......
Thanks. I took a look at their products and it looks like they may have something that will solve my issue.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

It may be easier though to sell my 2 PPI amps and buy a 5 channel that has speaker level inputs and a built-in crossover for the subby.

Thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.