Viper 5901 Remote Star in 05 Ford Focus

jcbunker
10+ year member

I was hoping maybe someone on here that installs remote starts/alarms could help me out with an issue.

I am planning on having the new Viper 5901 with remote start installed in a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 manual trans. at a local shop in the next couple of weeks.

The lady (who is the owner of Car-feteria in Milwaukee)was looking over Directed's technicians wiring and info website at the specific of my car (2005 ZX3 Manual). It said that the Focus had 30 amps coming into the car. She said that 30 amps is probably not enough for the remote start so they would have to go to the battery for power. Something like it takes more than 30 amp to start the car. Now I have heard this on 2 separate quotes from 2 different places. Is this true that a 10 guage power needs to be run from the battery? I can't seem to get a clear answering or find anything in any searches I do.

Also do these prices seem fair?

Viper 5901 installed $500.00

XK04 Bypass $60.00

Manual Trans. Programming $75.00

If need to run new power $50.00

I would run the new power just to save money because I can easily do that, but am not sure if its needed and thought I would ask someone who might have experience with this before.

Thanks in advance,

10g for over 30a sounds about right. Your better off letting them do everything.

Well done remote start installs are not cheap (manual makes it worse iirc).

I would let them do everything except installed the wiring from the battery to the inside of the car if new power would need to be ran. So 30 amps coming into the car from the factory is not enough for the remote start?

if the key can start the car with 30 amps of current so can a remote start //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif thats asinine if you have 30a at the key cylinder and the key doesnt need more current then why would a RS not too mention that is more then enough to take care of security features as well they may actually believe they are doing the right thing in which case they are wrong or they may just be trying to upsell you in which case they are d-bags not to mention that is the worst shop name ive ever heard of

if the key can start the car with 30 amps of current so can a remote start //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif thats asinine if you have 30a at the key cylinder and the key doesnt need more current then why would a RS not too mention that is more then enough to take care of security features as well they may actually believe they are doing the right thing in which case they are wrong or they may just be trying to upsell you in which case they are d-bags not to mention that is the worst shop name ive ever heard of
Yea I'm new to the whole security system thing so I thought I would get a second opinion from people more knowledgeable than myself. I have heard the possibility for needing the new power from 2 different shops thats why I was unsure.

As far as the name it is a little cheesy, but they have been around for 42 years down here, and have heard they have a good reputation. Their expertise is installing Viper systems, so hopefully it works out.

$75 for the manual remote start is absolute larceny. The 5901 comes factory programmed for manual remote start, it's the default option and the wiring is no different.

Aside from the manual trans. programming, what about the power needing to be run from the battery? Is that reasonable or probable or is it not needed?

my shop would charge $350 to install that unit plus, bypass cost. we wont touch a rs on a manual. and tell them to wire that to a 12v in the car. it they use as many negative triggers as they can the unit wont see much draw, i have personally seen a basic keyless wired all negative triggers powered off of a 18gauge 12v source, because they dont draw ****. we did redo it to a heavier gauge that was just to get the point across

Thanks everyone, I am gonna bring up the issue about the new power when I call them tomorrow. If anything, I'll tell them to hook it up without the wire, but if a new power is necessary after its installed then they can ask me. As far as the $75 for programming, I'm not sure what to ask because they are still cheaper than any of the other shops in town and have been more helpful than any of the others.

Plus I have a certificate for 10% off my next purchase so I will almost recover most of that $75.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

If they say otherwise, tell them to show you what they mean. There is NOTHING that needs to be programmed (just one option, but the default is manual mode), and the only thing extra is to make one little splice to the clutch wire. You can do that yourself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.