Voltage drop question

Participant count
  • Participant list
I know amp has low voltage shut off actually shut off a couple times with stock alt so I'm trying to keep her happy now lol now that I messed with the HU settings lowest I've seen it go is 13.9/8 so I think a new battery will solve the issue
Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
It might, yeah. Just get a generic AGM

Saw home depot had some 75ah lead acid ones, I didn't notice any improvements
75ah lead acids?

Not AGM... unless it says AGM (or similar terminology) on it somewhere.

SO no, that would not solve your problem.

75ah lead acids?
Not AGM... unless it says AGM (or similar terminology) on it somewhere.

SO no, that would not solve your problem.
I know they aren't agms Lol I just thought that it would help at least a little since it actually had a Ah rating

I know they aren't agms Lol I just thought that it would help at least a little since it actually had a Ah rating
If your battery was the problem (which it obviously wasn't), then getting a new one would have solved the problem.

I changed the battery for a guy in a 2003 Yukon today. It was PCM regulated and the alternator was freaking out trying to charge a battery that was resting at 2v with the car off. PCM would full-field the alternator until the battery held 14v and then would shut off, causing his voltage to tank.

Your battery isn't the problem. Just seems like you're trying to run too much off your alternator at this point.

Even though your alternator is double what stock is, that's still small. I see lots of stock alternators that can put out over 130 amps.

Adding more batteries, you can make your amp happier. Won't tank voltage as suddenly. Still won't solve the problem of your power supply (alternator in this case) not being able to supply enough constant power for the load.

Eventually, your alternator is going to go out if you're constantly "full-fielding" it. Simple as that.

If your battery was the problem (which it obviously wasn't), then getting a new one would have solved the problem.
I changed the battery for a guy in a 2003 Yukon today. It was PCM regulated and the alternator was freaking out trying to charge a battery that was resting at 2v with the car off. PCM would full-field the alternator until the battery held 14v and then would shut off, causing his voltage to tank.

Your battery isn't the problem. Just seems like you're trying to run too much off your alternator at this point.

Even though your alternator is double what stock is, that's still small. I see lots of stock alternators that can put out over 130 amps.

Adding more batteries, you can make your amp happier. Won't tank voltage as suddenly. Still won't solve the problem of your power supply (alternator in this case) not being able to supply enough constant power for the load.

Eventually, your alternator is going to go out if you're constantly "full-fielding" it. Simple as that.
I've had the apt tested and it tested good so does that mean that even though the amp only has 75a worth of fusing (got it that was supposed to have 120) it's still pulling more than that?

I've had the apt tested and it tested good so does that mean that even though the amp only has 75a worth of fusing (got it that was supposed to have 120) it's still pulling more than that?
I'm not saying the alternator is bad right now. Continuing to have it loaded down hard will stress it. Car audio "High output" alternators are more designed to be loaded down hard and abused.

I don't know what to tell you other than there might be a bad connection or you're still drawing more current than your alternator can handle.

I'm not saying the alternator is bad right now. Continuing to have it loaded down hard will stress it. Car audio "High output" alternators are more designed to be loaded down hard and abused.

I don't know what to tell you other than there might be a bad connection or you're still drawing more current than your alternator can handle.
Imma recheck my grounds noticed there's no battery-frame ground so Imma do that since I already have 4guage on the body and 0guage on the block

OK redid grounds 0guage to frame and alt bracket 4guage to body no voltage drop until amp starts to clip thinking

13.3 isn't ideal, but is fine for your amp's power supply.
Yes, generic rebadged AGM's are the best value
TUHHHHH... I wish my voltage would only drop to 13.3 lmao..... small azz kia alt smh. I also need to add a big 3 though as well lol. I have been to lazy to do it. But need it done atleast by next Sunday..

32624c31c0836ba28cbfb4f36056980f.jpg
new frame ground

OK redid grounds 0guage to frame and alt bracket 4guage to body no voltage drop until amp starts to clip thinking
So problem solved for now?

TUHHHHH... I wish my voltage would only drop to 13.3 lmao..... small azz kia alt smh. I also need to add a big 3 though as well lol. I have been to lazy to do it. But need it done atleast by next Sunday..
13.9 is the lowest mine drops at idle full tilt. Doesn't dip below 14 while driving.

If I dipped below 13v, I would be concerned

new frame ground
Looks alright

13.9 is the lowest mine drops at idle full tilt. Doesn't dip below 14 while driving.

new frame ground
Looks alright

Looks alright
What do you do to keep your grounds from rusting?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.