Voltage drop question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
Hey I have a question about voltage drop. How comes voltage can drop from 14.4 to 13.5 for example, instead of just going from 14.4 to 12.6 instantly? If an alternator can only produce 100 amps, if you draw 90 amps will that make your voltage drop or do you have to be pulling 100 amps before seeing any drop at all?

Also what does this mean

Taramps HD3k:

Voltage Low Power: 10 , 5 VDC Voltage Maximum Supply: 16 VDC Consumption at Rest:. 1.70 Amp Maximum Consumption Musical @ 12.6 VDC 170 Amp. Maximum Consumption in Sinusoidal Signal @ 12.6 VDC: 340 Amp.

Hey I have a question about voltage drop. How comes voltage can drop from 14.4 to 13.5 for example, instead of just going from 14.4 to 12.6 instantly? If an alternator can only produce 100 amps, if you draw 90 amps will that make your voltage drop or do you have to be pulling 100 amps before seeing any drop at all?
you see the decrease in voltage because the alternator cannot instantaneously saturate the permanent magnets to produce the current o there is a lag that cause the voltage to drop so it can saturate it. its called ripple current. the current increases in order to deliver the power. you need a Capacitor to help smooth the ripple..

those older caps aren't very great. with 3kw you could get away with 5 300F caps series..

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Eaton/XB3550-2R5307-R/?qs=A%2fwzytyXNHhe5n%2fLC2rGZw%3d%3d just a soldering gun and some 12ga wire between the caps and as large as you can going into and out of the caps

you see the decrease in voltage because the alternator cannot instantaneously saturate the permanent magnets to produce the current o there is a lag that cause the voltage to drop so it can saturate it. its called ripple current. the current increases in order to deliver the power. you need a Capacitor to help smooth the ripple..
those older caps aren't very great. with 3kw you could get away with 5 300F caps series..

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Eaton/XB3550-2R5307-R/?qs=A%2fwzytyXNHhe5n%2fLC2rGZw%3d%3d just a soldering gun and some 12ga wire between the caps and as large as you can going into and out of the caps
Capacitor is any option... most add another battery and a high output alt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Also what does this mean
Taramps HD3k:

Voltage Low Power: 10 , 5 VDC Voltage Maximum Supply: 16 VDC Consumption at Rest:. 1.70 Amp Maximum Consumption Musical @ 12.6 VDC 170 Amp. Maximum Consumption in Sinusoidal Signal @ 12.6 VDC: 340 Amp.
With music playing it pulls 170 amps, on a burp it pulls 340 amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.