Voltage Drop

Participant count
  • Participant list
How big of an alternator? I'm only running 1 alpine mrx-m240 wired for a 2ohm load so its supposed to put out 2400 watts rms. Its powering a pair of the 4th gen alpine type r. Car tunes tested my stuff and said I needed the bigger alt and also said they would do the big 3 for about 150 bucks. Everyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't pay 150 for the big 3 it's like 12foot of 1/0 wire a few terminals and some really easy wiring. You should easily be able to do it for half of that. And I would add a batt next to the amp and then see where you are at. And optimas **** now I would get a sears platinum agm batt or a deka or a Duracell agm or diehard platinum

what kind of car you got? adding more batts may worsen your problem
You very rarely worsen the problem by adding batts. The amp uses 240amps of current which on 1 batt draws 240amps so the alt has to make that power or the batt has to provide it so if you add 2 batts the draw is still 240amps the batt doesn't draw power it provides it sure you have to charge them but music is transient which means the amp doesn't draw a constant 240amps during a low draw passage so unless u are trying to charge alot of batts it usually doesn't hurt to add 1 or 2 extra batts.

A ho alt is the best option though

what kind of car you got? adding more batts may worsen your problem
You very rarely worsen the problem by adding batts. The amp uses 240amps of current which on 1 batt draws 240amps so the alt has to make that power or the batt has to provide it so if you add 2 batts the draw is still 240amps the batt doesn't draw power it provides it sure you have to charge them but music is transient which means the amp doesn't draw a constant 240amps during a low draw passage so unless u are trying to charge alot of batts it usually doesn't hurt to add 1 or 2 extra batts.

A ho alt is the best option though

I have a 2001 ford explorer sport 4wd. So is there a big 3 kit I can purchase somewhere? I really do not wanna pay that much for them to do it since I'd rather get the experience by doing it myself but I want to make sure I do it right. Still waiting on a reply about how big of an alt. I should get.

I would just measure out the runs you need add 2feet order some 1/0 kolossus from knu get some terminals also avalible at knukonceptz.com and cut to your needs add a 300amp fuse to the alt to batt wire if you like but it's not necessary

It 3wires

Batt + to alt +

Batt - to frame

Batt - to engine block or engine block to frame both work

I wouldn't pay 150 for the big 3 it's like 12foot of 1/0 wire a few terminals and some really easy wiring. You should easily be able to do it for half of that. And I would add a batt next to the amp and then see where you are at. And optimas **** now I would get a sears platinum agm batt or a deka or a Duracell agm or diehard platinum
IIRC all of those batteries except for maybe the sears are Deka (including the optima) so they're the same thing in a different case

I'm thinking diehard are odyssey? Might be wrong though

Cheap big 3 kits, you'll probably save some money buying AT rather than Knu and both are good quality wire

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/audio-technix/576119-audio-technix-blowout-sale.html

Might as well go for the OFC big 3 kit. Also check all of your grounds! (battery ground, amp ground, etc) - they should be in good, solid locations and have ALL paint sanded off where your wire contacts it.

Don't buy a HO alt just yet, see how much the big 3 helps.

As u can see in my picture in the first post my battery ground wire is skimpy and looks to be 10 gauge lol. I grounded my amp with 1/0 gauge of course and sanded all the paint and its bolted down very tight. I had AutoZone test my stock alt and they said its still good so I'm going to buy that big 3 kit first and see if that helps first. I really do appreciate everyone's help

i'm digging your sig, sir //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif thanks for the woofergram support!!

btw to the OP, do the Big 3 it'll boost your electrical ~30%

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.