Water getting to my door speakers.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Top Notch

Yeah so the there are a couple of rusty metal shavings on the magnets of my front door speakers and the wires corroded right at the speaker terminal connections. So apparently I'm getting water through the window seals and down onto the back of the speakers. What would be the best/easiest way to seal the speakers from the elements? Is there some already built and available thing I could buy or am I stuck testing my (not so awesome) sheet metal skills?

97 Ford Expedition EB

Pioneer AVIC Z1 upgraded to Z3

Pioneer Rev 6.5 component front

Pioneer Rev 5.25 component rear

JL 8W3v3-4 sub

Phoenix Gold Tantrum 600.4 and 250.2 amps

Foam/Plastic speaker baffles are cheap to obtain,and will also enhance the sound of the speakers.May help ? Yet best to seal the leak though??

if you use the foam baffle, you need to cut out the bottom half.

as mentioned, water gets in all doors. that's why you have a plastic sheet in there, and why factory speakers have mounting cradles.

the water is running down the inside of the door metal. if you give the water a channel to go around, you can usually keep your speaker dry. you can achieve this with weatherstripping foam and/or deadener to create a lip around the top half of the opening.

3/4" closed cell weatherstripping foam:

2005tC_doors020.jpg

BXT II over the seam and foam to increase the lip:

2005tC_doors023.jpg

if you use the foam baffle, you need to cut out the bottom half.
as mentioned, water gets in all doors. that's why you have a plastic sheet in there, and why factory speakers have mounting cradles.

the water is running down the inside of the door metal. if you give the water a channel to go around, you can usually keep your speaker dry. you can achieve this with weatherstripping foam and/or deadener to create a lip around the top half of the opening.

3/4" closed cell weatherstripping foam:

2005tC_doors020.jpg

BXT II over the seam and foam to increase the lip:

2005tC_doors023.jpg
Fucking genius bro. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/imdaman.gif.bc6c552e19aa4ad8c47461144f40eb1a.gif

XTC baffles are fine, just recognize they are deeper than the window usually allows and you don't want to leave them enclosed. the speaker needs airspace and closed cell foam doesn't breathe. use the XTC baffle but cut out the bottom half and back as required for depth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.