Weird (or not so weird) speaker issue

edee_em

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
I had a no sound issue from both front lower speakers in my car. I took out the left speaker and found that the connector holding the wire leads from the speaker coil had broken in two. I soldered the break, reinstalled and the speaker worked but the right side didn't fire up. I removed that speaker and found the same, exact issue; broken connector on right side in the same location on the connector. I've attached a pic.

I was wondering if anyone knows how this happens and why it would happen to both speakers in the same spot. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7318.jpg
    IMG_7318.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 20
Yes.. Wear and tear. Its normal. Maybe both front struts were out as well?? but Yes, Road vibrations, door slamming closed and Heat and moisture inside the door cavity for periods of years, make connections and wiring become brittle and weak over time

Thanks! It just seemed weird that two speakers would have a break in the metal in the exact same location. Also, being a break in metal I'm assuming it would need some good level of torque to snap it but, as mentioned, corrosion from moisture would certainly weaken it to allow that to happen. Finally, didn't know a speaker riveted to a door frame would allow that metal connector to flex to a point of breaking. Learning something new here!

Same issue, same spot same model of speaker? Too much of a coincidence. If it was truly from inpact and vibration, etc., then it should be on opposite connectors, since the speakers are in opposing doors.
My nickel bet is a manufacturing defect. Bad soldering.

Same issue, same spot same model of speaker? Too much of a coincidence. If it was truly from inpact and vibration, etc., then it should be on opposite connectors, since the speakers are in opposing doors.
My nickel bet is a manufacturing defect. Bad soldering.
Thanks WatchingPelicans.

I don't believe it's bad soldering as the break happened right in the metal of the connector, to the left of any soldering. My only other guess is this metal has some kind of "fuse" properties and is supposed to give out if something odd is detected???? Told you it was weird!!

Thanks WatchingPelicans.

I don't believe it's bad soldering as the break happened right in the metal of the connector, to the left of any soldering. My only other guess is this metal has some kind of "fuse" properties and is supposed to give out if something odd is detected???? Told you it was weird!!
I bet it is just planned obsolescence.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...