Weld wire 1/0 vs. reg power wire 1/0

I've been using the same 1/0 ultra flex I got from wedingsuply.com for the last 20 years almost, when I get a new car it gets new ring terminals and comes with me.

Yeah, sizes aren't the same as car audio wire. Was the "2 gauge" you had car audio or welding cable? If it was car audio wire that you replaced with 1/0 welding cable, the size isn't that different.

Car audio (Sky high, knu, tsunami, ect.) wire is larger than the standard used for welding wire. My Sky High 1/0 is the same size and my 2/0 excelene welding cable. My Sky High 2/0 is the same as 4/0 welding cable.

If your amps take 1/0 car audio wire, get 2/0 welding cable and you're golden.

It's not undersized. Good car audio branded wire is oversized.
this is the best answer

welding cable has larger strands, and less them of them. "ca wire" has thinner strands, and more of them so it will of course be larger and more flexible.

papermaker is annoying as **** but he's right when he says that the ampacity of 1/0 is the ampacity of 1/0 (although he does it in a snarky "im smarter than you" way)

this is the best answer
welding cable has larger strands, and less them of them. "ca wire" has thinner strands, and more of them so it will of course be larger and more flexible.

papermaker is annoying as **** but he's right when he says that the ampacity of 1/0 is the ampacity of 1/0 (although he does it in a snarky "im smarter than you" way)
There could be a whole thread about this. Lots of argument about cross section or surface area making more of a difference, if current travels more along the surface, ect.

Would have to measure the mass of a length of CA and welding 1/0 (without the insulator) and compare. If they have the same mass of copper, then I agree that they should have about the same amperage capacity, all other minor arguments regardless.

Has there been any actual side-by-side comparison with current flow through the different types of wire? If I still worked at the battery shop and had access to the giant carbon-pile load tester, I'd see for myself. Wouldn't be a tough test. Get set lengths and pass current through them to see how much they take before *poof* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Yeah, sizes aren't the same as car audio wire. Was the "2 gauge" you had car audio or welding cable? If it was car audio wire that you replaced with 1/0 welding cable, the size isn't that different.
Car audio (Sky high, knu, tsunami, ect.) wire is larger than the standard used for welding wire. My Sky High 1/0 is the same size and my 2/0 excelene welding cable. My Sky High 2/0 is the same as 4/0 welding cable.

If your amps take 1/0 car audio wire, get 2/0 welding cable and you're golden.
The 2 gauge I had before was welding cable...same brand.

I got it simplified: Knu for my power/ground wiring, and welding cable Royal Excelene for big 3 because they can take the heat from the engine bay area. Not sure if the knu can so left it at that.

There could be a whole thread about this. Lots of argument about cross section or surface area making more of a difference, if current travels more along the surface, ect.
Would have to measure the mass of a length of CA and welding 1/0 (without the insulator) and compare. If they have the same mass of copper, then I agree that they should have about the same amperage capacity, all other minor arguments regardless.

Has there been any actual side-by-side comparison with current flow through the different types of wire? If I still worked at the battery shop and had access to the giant carbon-pile load tester, I'd see for myself. Wouldn't be a tough test. Get set lengths and pass current through them to see how much they take before *poof* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Yes...partial to this also. I didn't wanna put a "strain" on my electrical if that makes any sense....and wondered if I should have went with 2/0 instead.

Was trying to find some leftover 1/0 from Knu if I had any scraps left over and compare to the RE 1/0 I got but I'm not so lucky...

Alright so after I dug deep, found a piece leftover from my 1/0 amp wiring. Below are some comparable pics...

Sorry for the blurry pic. I'm no photographer but I think this is a good comparison.....yup more finer strands on the Knu and the RE has thicker strands. Also Knu has a thicker jacket compared to the RE. So...anyone else interested in this, feel free to look //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

FYI, The skin effect only occurs with alternating current (AC).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Would have to measure the mass of a length of CA and welding 1/0 (without the insulator) and compare. If they have the same mass of copper, then I agree that they should have about the same amperage capacity, all other minor arguments regardless.Has there been any actual side-by-side comparison with current flow through the different types of wire? If I still worked at the battery shop and had access to the giant carbon-pile load tester, I'd see for myself. Wouldn't be a tough test. Get set lengths and pass current through them to see how much they take before *poof* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
yeah i definitely agree but im a standards guy, all 1/0 should meet the expectations of 1/0 if not exceed it (although exceeding it does reduce the meaningfulness of standards) so imo 1/0 ofc should definitely be able to carry whatever is expected of it at the set distance regardless if its ca wire or welding cable

kind of like oil, the military did an awesome job of standardizing that for the auto industry so you dont have to worry what oil it is as long as its the appropriate weight and viscosity

but again like you said, that's an entirely different discussion and shtishow considering ca cable providers give 0 ***** about standards and instead bottom line and sales/marketing

The 2 gauge I had before was welding cable...same brand.
I got it simplified: Knu for my power/ground wiring, and welding cable Royal Excelene for big 3 because they can take the heat from the engine bay area. Not sure if the knu can so left it at that.
look for insulation ratings if heat is a concern, the god emperor AvE always looks at degrees "science" ratings on the conductor as an aspect of overall quality

FYI, The skin effect only occurs with alternating current (AC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect
well i learned something, guess it is just ac, which makes sense considering the knowledge i learned states that AC quickly changes magnetic fields from pos to negative vs dc current which pushes electrons forward after they run into each other

one of the main reasons why ac is dangerous (think einsteins elephant) unless you're talking about high voltage dc because it grabs onto you.

Hey @adulbrich, any idea how much voltage I will gain after I do the rest of the big 3 or will it vary? I'll more than likely check it once I get done. Shoulda checked it 1st before I replaced the wiring then I could have found out myself.

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']wew lad w hen you moving to TX?[/QUOTE]

june 15~

ill be there this weekend through monday to find a place to stay

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']Hey @adulbrich, any idea how much voltage I will gain after I do the rest of the big 3 or will it vary? I'll more than likely check it once I get done. Shoulda checked it 1st before I replaced the wiring then I could have found out myself.[/QUOTE]

check your voltage at the front by the batts and alternator and then back at the amp. thats how much you'll gain minus maybe .1dcv if your wiring is proper

edit; should have said this is loaded when you check, not unloaded. need current flowing to see actual drop

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.