What Happened to this amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MPI
10+ year member

So I recently purchased a Rockford Fosgate P400-2 amp off of ebay... after installing it I turned my vehicle on and the blue amp Power indicator came on as it is supposed to, then my speakers made a few strange noises, the blue light dimmed and then smoke started pouring from the amp... (this all happened in approximately 5 seconds) and had all the gain and volume levels set as low as possible. This seller has good ratings and it was listed as being new (wasn't in the shrink wrap, but was still very clean and no signs of use) I opened it up so see what had happened in there and 4 of the MOSFETs had fried... does anyone have any ideas as to what happened? I was running it with another P400-2 and a P500-1BD (both turned on just fine) they were all wired in the same exact way.

Any ideas would be great...

The mosfets that got fried are marked with lightning //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

P400-2_3_l.jpg
[/img]

Well Its a good there going to refund my money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If everything was wired exactly the same way between the amps you listed - it would have to be a dud. RF and most other manufactures bench test their amps prior to packaging, so I'm surprised you would have a failure from a "new" amp. I'm guessing either the amp was tampered with, shipping damage, or some other installation error. The chances of a new amp frying like this is extremely slim, but I suppose it does happen.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.