What HDTV do you use?

Well first of all you can't measure what sounds better or not so you can't put a multiplier on it, you can with a monetary value like dollars. To some people that extra money is way worth what it costs to get a better item. I do agree that sound is very very subjective but you are just as much subjective your way as I am mine. I'm sure that I have listened to just as many if not more setups with a much more technical disposition. I don't know your background in audio but I presume it's much different than mine. Paradigm is a different class of speaker because of the components used, price range, and construction methods. They, to me, are a totally difference class of speaker. They don't compete at all to my ears with brands such as B&W, Dali, Sonus Faber, or Gamut. These speakers are much more expensive, but I have the means and the need for that extra bit. So it's a lot more valuable to me, as it's not to you.
We could sit here and go back and forth all night about who is the best and what is a justifiable about of money for a system. To me, I love my $12,000 system, but would if I could spend twice or three times that. To other's I'm just crazy and they can't hear the difference. And I’m not totally 100% and absolute B&W dogg for life. I love them, and do enjoy their product a lot, but would I look into other speakers some day sure I would. Gamut L5’s are very splendid speakers, so are many others. But, this is my second set of B&W speakers, first ones were rebuilt DM330i, and my father just got not too long a go his second set which are B&W 804S.

SO, to each his own... I wasn't knocking your speakers, but just trying to make a clear and visible separation between Canadian Gear and the gear from Jolly Ol' England...

This sort of reminds me of the Bryston vs. Rotel arguments….
I appreciate your point of view, I am not in any way trying to imply that paradigm is the best sounding or I don't understand paying huge jack for some really special speakers. within the budget I had I bought the nicest speakers I could afford- it turned out that for the given price point I was shopping and the needs of my room, and the reciever I would be using, the Paradigms just sounded better. If all my equipment was different it may sound better still, but to say Paradigm is an inferior product is unfair- that is my point. I don't believe even in the Signature series they produce anything that competes with, say a set of 800d's (about 15k for a pair I think) but that isn't the market they are after (the ultra-high end) I listened to some 800d's at a local dealer and was shocked at how fantastic they sounded, and how fantastically expensive they are. I don't fault you for your taste, B&W's are fantastic and if I had more money it's possible I would have something other than Paradigm in my living room (like dynaudio or Wilson Audio; of course both while sounding great don't have nearly the asthetic appeal of B&W's) Anyway if everyone's ears heard the same thing there would only need to be 1 speaker manufacturer worldwide. And yes, I am a subjective paradigm fanboi.

you guys just make it hard. i want something that of corse i like but something that if i show off to a freind that reallllllllyyyy knows their **** would go DAM THIS SOUNDS GOOD!

the local def tech dealer is also a paradigm dealer. i can compare both but i wont know wich one will really sound better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif well i doubt i will im coming from spl competition so even a so so system sounds good

like ive said when i heard the def tech's my jaw dropped i couldnt belive how good they sound. if paradigm and b&w sound better then wow just wow.

You just want to listen mostly for clarity, and what sounds the most natural to you- at least that's what I listen for in loudspeakers of any kind. I want the whole system to reproduce the music accurately, not add coloration or it's own sound of any kind. To me in a loudspeaker accuracy is the key- nice tight midrange, crystal clear shimmering highs without being overbearing and sawing your ear off like a lot of car audio tweets will. If they all sound the same to you (they won't) then you can shop by looks, size, or price whatever is more important to you. I went shopping for tower speakers initially, but came home with some very large bookshelf speakers and stands- don't be fooled by size, smaller speakers can sound every bit as good as bohemouth towers (to a point) You also have to consider the room they are going in, typically the bigger the room the bigger the speaker will usually need to be to fill it (or the more powerful the amplifier) That is my unprofessional opinion.

Well bookshelves have their things that floor standers don't. Some guys who run tubes have to have the bookshelves because they are much more efficient than a 3-way floor standing model. They also, usually are much cheaper and take much less space. I personally would have to say, however, I have never heard a good 2-way design that could truly keep up with a good 3-way design. The separation of frequencies over certain drivers increases clarity but makes phasing and time alignment much more difficult, you can also get smearing if the cross-over isn't done just right. So there is a trade off. Again it all comes down to what you ears like. Paradigm is good, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t see how you say a Studio 20/40/60/100 competes with the 700 series. Maybe the lower end 600’s and defiantly the 300’s but the CM series up are much better speakers. For Christ sake the most advanced technological thing they got is Ferro-Fluid dampening and cooling, which they put in their mid-range too?????? Their sound and build reminds me of a weird cross between Klipsch and Krell, and boo to both of those. I would put them into the lower Focal range too. But, some poeple swear focal sounds better than B&W but put the two speakers side by side and you can hear a BIG difference and it isn't a good one for the Focals. But, I’m done arguing this…. Just go out and buy whatever sounds good to you and don’t listen to a word me or anyone else says to you. Who knows BOSE might sound fantastic to you?????

I don’t see how you say a Studio 20/40/60/100 competes with the 700 series. Maybe the lower end 600’s and defiantly the 300’s but the CM series up are much better speakers.
My point is the studio series competes withthe 600/700 series. The signature series goes to the upper 700 series and lower 800 series, and Paradigm doesn't really offer anything for B&W's rediculously high-end stuff. That's the only point I am trying to make- at a given price point they are competitive and it can not be said one is vastly superior to the other outside of personal opinion.

Got myself a 53" Pioneer HDTV. Bought for a grand brand new at a local CC....how did I manage to do that, you ask?? Walked into the store at the right place, right time. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Still working on getting more cabling for the H/K receiver to the TV and such to get better picture.

what pioneer 53"? if you're trying to tell me you bought a brand new 53" pioneer for a grand i want proof or to know what store lol. there's just no freaking way the cheapest CC should be allowed to sell it brand new is about 3 times that.

I got ass raped for some DVI to HDMI cables last week. I got them at cost (6 footers) for $45 each- some fools get stiffed for retail ($130 each) Ouchie. Thank god my brother is a manager at a compusa!

Niiiice...pics dude...pics.

Yesterday I ordered my Samsung HL-S5086W //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

99StangGt

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
99StangGt
Oregon
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date